Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Winterizing soft top

Old 09-28-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing soft top

I live in Vail, CO and the winters here are not exactly mild. Does anyone have any tips for winterizing the soft top? Supports for the top to avoid sag, insulation etc.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

Put your hard top on.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

You'll be fine- a lot of people under estimate the JK heater. I have a few pin holes in mine and the rear window doesn't zip up all the way. Just let 'er warm up and you're golden. I live in AK and I'm just fine.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Steel.. You might be on to something.. Maybe a product should be invented that would condition the top for a long hard winter.. Never saw anything like that before.. I have both tops, but not everyone has that luxury.. Call a chemist and get the ball rolling, just cut me in!!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its snowing really heavy, as in an inch or more an hour. i make sure to get out and use a push broom really quick on the top to keep the weight off of it.

Before winter, lube up and clean your zippers out while you still can. Once it gets too cold it will be quite a struggle to remove the top and get it nice and tight again.

Bump for any tips on the top itself. I use protectant regularly. but if anything else is out there. . .
Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 AM
JK Freak

If you have been in the winter in your JK yet your in for a suprise the heaters rock in these things. Plus like they say just keep the top swept off and be smart no matter what you drive if you live in an area where bad weather gets worse quick always keep a coat and hat and gloves with you.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lube/clean zippers at beginning of snow season and depending on how much sand or salt they put on the road, if it is a DD, take it through a touchless wash weekly (salt) or biweekly (sand).

I always hear the argument about getting a hard top for winter just to make the soft top last longer. My counter argument is that even if the top wears out in, say 8 years, you can then get a brand new factory soft top for less than the HT and not worry about storage.

If you want a HT for more than winter, go for it, but just to "save" the ST does not make sense.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sa29560

Before winter, lube up and clean your zippers out while you still can. Once it gets too cold it will be quite a struggle to remove the top and get it nice and tight again.
X2 million,

Doesnt take much to do damage to the zipper if salt/sand etc gets in it.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

What do you use to lub the zippers ?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mikey214
What do you use to lub the zippers ?
Mopar makes a lube for it

But I just use silicon spray lube

Quick Reply: Winterizing soft top