Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Winter wheel/tire combo.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter wheel/tire combo.

Looking for a cheap tire combo with my 16" stock steels for the Winter. Anyone running "Maxxis Big-Horn 33x10.5 (Lt 255/85R16) radial tires or Narrow "Super Swamper 34x9.50 TSL Bias tires ? Any problems with backspace ? Comments would be appreciative, as the North East is looking at a huge snowfall this Winter.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First: Super Swampers...

The name "super swamper" gets applied to a number of Interco tires. Most of them are NOT your friend for winter driving. Also be aware that Interco products aren't really known for being completely round. What I mean by that is that I know very, very few people that claim to have a lot of success having their Interco tires balanced.

Looking at tread patterns, the "Narrow" swampers look like a tire that would be very challenging to drive during the winter. This is my "polite" way of saying that however well they work in the mud, you probably do NOT want to run them on a public road in the winter.

I know a fair number of guys that run Interco Truxs MT tires year-round here. They're "okay" on snow and ice, but are by no means winter tires.

The Maxxis Bighorns look to be a different animal altogether. For an MT, they would probably work pretty well as a winter tire. They seem to have some siping (although more would probably be better if you can find a tire shop willing to do this for you). They are also pinned for studs . Make sure you check your local laws before you get stud installed!

The question that I want to ask now is "what do you want these tires to do?"

-Will they only be used in the winter, or will you keep running them year 'round?

-Do you go off-road in the winter?

-Are you more concerned about performance on icy areas or in deep snow?

-Do you own a set of tire chains, and if so will your suspension/backspacing give you the clearance to use them without destroying your brake and ABS lines?

In general, a good quality AT will outperform an MT in the winter. A specific "winter tire" will outperform an AT in the winter...on the road.

Once you're off road and into really deep snow, you need a tire that has a fair amount of void space and will clear snow easily - preferably without a HUGE amount of wheelspin. I do a fair amount of winter wheeling, and the Rockies see a LOT of snow in some areas - this is why we let our friends running Boggers break trail when we get to an area with REALLY deep drifts.

Edit: I just looked a the Maxxis site a little closer...it looks like they only make the Bighorn 33's for a 15 inch wheel...not 16's. :(
Old 09-12-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

"W squared" Thanks for the detailed response, I agree with the "bias" ply having problems with balance, it was a concern, however I thought a mud tire with the deep lugs would be better in the deep stuff. My MTR's on my Tacoma work well on road, however I never took it on trails. Cost is also an issue, if you know of any cheap tire out there that would work well with my stock 16" steels, let me know. No chains. I just really want a safe commuter for the Winter, as I am a civil servant and must work in all weather conditions. I also enjoy the mild trail runs after major storms.

(09/13/09) Just purchased BFG 265/75R 16 Rugged trails with 2K for $125.00 -

Last edited by Orangutan; 09-13-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

W Squared's post is outstanding. All the right questions and advice.

My choice for a Winter tire that is terrific on snow covered roads, reasonable on snow covered trails (less than 18" of snow) and adequate on dry everything is the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Unless you are into heavy-duty, deep snow off roading, these are excellent for all purpose winter use. This tire is Winter rated and has the snowflake symbol on the sidewall. Also, they are not expensive considering the Kevlar belts. Basically, this is an extremely durable, Winter rated AT type.

Whatever you decide, consider W Squared's questions and insight. He obviously spends a great deal of time in the snow.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-15-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

"JK Carney" - I never heard of these tires (Dura Tracs), checked them out on their site, nice. However I was stretching myself thin with even considering new "Maxxis Big Horns". I had a set of five 32" "BF Goodrich Rugged Trails" with under 2K (confirmed from a 2008 "Ford", fall into my hands for only $125.00.) They are like "Wide Wing's" "Silient Armors". Chose not to paint my steels white like the old "Renegade" because Winters always kill my aftermarket wheels. I'm hoping this impulse buy doesn't prove to be a stock response, however my plans down the line, when "Chrysler Financial" doesn't get my money every month, is to get a big boy suspension with 35's. And yes, I PM'd "W Squared", thanking him for his response/life lessons, and reminding me of years past, having bias "Mickey's" giving me the death wobble and flat spots during Winter months.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire combo.