Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Winter Tires!!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires!!

Well openions are like a$$holes everyones got one and most of them stink haha jk!!

Heres some pricing on some winter rubbers. Looking for anything good or bad about any set.
Any openion or experiences are very welcome!!

BFG winter slalom $150 each
Michlen LTX winter $220 each
Dunlop grand trek $165 each
Bridgestone blizzak $231 each
Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I lived in Edmonton it was so damn cold that pretty much any tire would stick, sorta like driving on hard beach sand. In southern BC where it was warmer and the snow could get like greased snot, the rubber compound in the Blizzak was best. Blizzak rubber would also work well on the Edmonton side streets when they get as slippery as the ice cubes in your drink - 'specially during spring breakup.

For winter conditions narrower tires work better than wider tires because you get more pressure per square inch of tread. Its the opposite of trying to float over mud or loose sand where wider tires rule.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to do the same, get winter tires. then opted to just screw it and got duratracs. best decision I ever made, just run them year round. Winters in Nebraska are shitty too, very icy and wet generally. these grip like a champ and dont have to store a set of tires then. but if your set to do a set of winters only. blizzaks
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Goodyear Duratracs excellent for all year round. They scored the highest for an A/T tire. They scored a 3 in sand, rain, mud, rock, and they scored a 4 on snow and ice. Check them out, you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

I say Buck Up and get a set of Mattracks!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1109173593.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	366912  
Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sommer13
I say Buck Up and get a set of Mattracks!!!

That is awesome. No problems what so ever in any terrain.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

How r Nitto Tera grapplers in the winter?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOffRoad
I used to do the same, get winter tires. then opted to just screw it and got duratracs. best decision I ever made, just run them year round. Winters in Nebraska are shitty too, very icy and wet generally. these grip like a champ and dont have to store a set of tires then. but if your set to do a set of winters only. blizzaks
I agree with this post..... I'm in Ontario and loved my Duratracs last winter and they have the snowflake .... ( I run 35" Mickey MTZ's in summer).
But as mentioned if you're looking at winters only BLIZZAK
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like several others have said, Blizzaks are awesome. Haven't tried them on the Jeep but I put a set on my wifes old Saab...very happy with them
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

I live at 9K feet and commute 2 hrs to 800 feet and I love the Rocky Mountains. The snow can get to 3-6 feet and I have yet to have an issue for 2 winters with these tires. You get more spin from the Falkens but thats why they are so great, they dig forever and you get traction and never look back.

I have also had the duratracs, they are equally great, but wear alot faster and the buildup between the treads is horrible, potentially putting you in a sticky situation.

In the winter I run my Falkens at 26lbs and lower to 19lbs when the black ice builds up getting off the freeway. For the price, you cant beat em.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires!!