Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Winter tire selection, please help!!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tire selection, please help!!

I'm looking to purchase my winter tire for my Rubicon and have no experience with truck winter tire. I like the Toyo Observe Open Country but want to know if someone have other idea and maybe cheaper one, I'm about to put 1400$can on the set so being dissapoint is the last thing I need to be. Thanks for your help that will be plentiful (I wish so).
Old 10-15-2006, 08:41 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no doubts that the Toyo Observe Winter Tires will serve you well. Most of the studless all terrian tires that have a good amount of siping on the lugs will do well too.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

I went through last winter in these, (in Toronto, Canada), and likem! I likem alot! and with Kevlar to boot!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:11 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey joss097, I was checking out Toyo's website and was wondering if you caught the part about there being eco-friendly walnut shells in them?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Guys and Gals, a newbie here from Canada. I just ordered my 4 door Sahara a couple of days ago. Ton's of information and some great pics in the forums here. I'm totally enjoying the reading but the problem is I just ordered a 4 door Sahara 2 days ago and I don't think I'm gonna make it through the six weeks for delivery. I'm trying to get it out of my mind and go on with my daily work but then I log on to this site and get into some good reading. How can I not think about driving my first jeep?!!

I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. I opted for the 18" wheels with the Dueler tires, will these be ok in snow or do I need winter tires? Looks like the tread is fairly aggressive but I don't know for sure. Cheers!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tires

That's my question, no one seemed to be able to answer it.

I still don't know if the all-seasons on the 17" or 18" option are good enough for winter in Canada. Plus, it's not just the tread, it's more the compound used to make the tire that matters. A bald winter tire grips better in snow/ice than a new summer tire with full grooves.

I'm looking into winter tires. Figure about $150-200 a piece for basic 255-75-17s.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default Staying with tires

Not sure about the Toyo's here. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the ProComp A/T. It is suppose to be severe weather rated, has a good warranty, fair price, and looks a bit aggressive in the void pattern for a A/T.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Folks, It is my understanding from the JP magazine folks and others that the BFG's that come on the Rubi's is an excellent winter tire. My 2 cents worth. Of course if you are going to put 35's on I will just fade away into the back ground. Papabear
Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tires

What about the non-Rubi wheels? The 17" option? (255/75/17)? Are these supposed to be decent for winter?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dean
That's my question, no one seemed to be able to answer it.

I still don't know if the all-seasons on the 17" or 18" option are good enough for winter in Canada. Plus, it's not just the tread, it's more the compound used to make the tire that matters. A bald winter tire grips better in snow/ice than a new summer tire with full grooves.

I'm looking into winter tires. Figure about $150-200 a piece for basic 255-75-17s.
Do you plan on studding? When I lived in Alaska I got around pretty good with my Mud Kings on a YJ. They are bored for studs, but I never put any in. I wouldn't recommend an AT on the short wheelbase. Tried that on a Toyota Tacoma and totaled it. I'm sure AT's have wintered for people successfully, but I noticed a HUGE difference between AT's and MT's. The MT's clean out so much better than AT's.

Quick Reply: Winter tire selection, please help!!