Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

winshield

Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winshield

Anyone ever actually folded down their wind shield? I personally can't find a reason to put it down....
Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only time I've ever put it down was when I was out shooting prairie dogs at a ranch. The Jeep turns into a mobile benchrest.

I've also been hunting many many times in my old Willys, and we always have the windshield down.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jflawless
Anyone ever actually folded down their wind shield? I personally can't find a reason to put it down....
A few people have done it, and they reported that it was not worth the effort. There are a lot of bolts and it is a huge hassle to get it done.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Jedi

Wheelin' with the windshield down is way cool. It REALLY opens up your view as your creep along. And many times just that little extra breeze as you move along is really nice. Plus, if you are in a place where there are a lot overhangs instead of them slammin' into your windshield and top, many times you can just duck down a little bit and they go right on by. I used to wheel this way all the time......great fun...!!!

PS.....The only reason I haven't done it on the JK is that it sounds like such a pain in the ass just to take out all the screws....
Old 06-21-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

I ride motorcycles so I never felt the need....

Too much of a PIA to put the thing down....
Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

X2, seems like way to big of a hassle to get it down, someone should make a replacement bracket with quick release spring loaded pins or something to make it easy.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
X2, seems like way to big of a hassle to get it down, someone should make a replacement bracket with quick release spring loaded pins or something to make it easy.
There ya go.... The idiot that designed this for the JK should be shot...!!!.....lol
Old 06-21-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by Jflawless
It's not that hard to do, and well worth it. Top down, doors off, windshield lowered- it's a logical progression. Perfect way to wheel.

As AK4Dave mentioned, it also comes in handy in moving branches and crap out of your way which could have scraped up your windshield frame.

Total blast. Panoramic view. It's awesome on the trail and awesome at the Drive-in movies.

Its unfortunate that they made the process so much more involved than previous generation Jeeps, but still a great part of the authentic Jeep experience.

You'll get a lot of responses from folks who have never done it, but give it a shot!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

What do you strap the windshield down with?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by ctaggart
What do you strap the windshield down with?

These were standard issue with TJ's...They gave you 5- one for the windshield itself, and four to strap down the side bars behind your rear seat once they had been removed. Glad I kept mine...

Quick Reply: winshield