Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

windshield glass... clean but not really???

Old 04-08-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield glass... hard to clean area outside wiper mask???

Weird topic here but basicaly my problem is, my winshield is as clean as it can get, yet you can see the area outside of the wipers.
meaning the part of the glass that isnt being wiped by the wipers.
Sort of looks like a mask. the glass is clean, both wiped area and outside the wiped area yet its very noticeable theres a difference.

understand what im saying? any solvents to clear the ouside part or is the inside part striped or something. Its not scratched thought.

any help is appreciated.
Jason

Last edited by jrubicon; 04-08-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is common with any windshield as the wipers "polish" the glass they cover. You can try cleaning the windshield with soapy water with just a little kerosine in it (like a tablespoon) and using crumpled newspaper as a polishing rag after.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Bon Ami cleanser with limited success for this. It has a very light abrasive in it, bartenders have used it for years to clean glassware, and will help some. It really gets a window clean. I'm going to have to do my JK's windshield this spring as mine is looking just the way you describe yours. Guess I'll go put it on my grocery list right now.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a special automotive glass stripper every few weeks. It really cleans off all the scum and rainex that will build up on the windshield especially noticable at night causing streaks and reduced visibility.

This stuff will make the wipers act like new aswell, I definitly recommend.

Quick Reply: windshield glass... clean but not really???