Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

window tint

Old 06-20-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window tint

Anyone tint their own driver / passenger windows themselves? What tint should you use? Tips/tricks/pix?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's only one tip that I know of. Keep the windows WET as HELL while you put it on. That's all I know.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used to tint windows years ago, definately keep em wet and have an exacto knife with a sharp blade!

I had mine done when I was in FL (Feb) and it was well worth the $60 to have it done professionally. A lot less aggrevation from doing it myself. It was Llumar brand that they used and it was done in 15 minutes.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keneds
Anyone tint their own driver / passenger windows themselves? What tint should you use? Tips/tricks/pix?

Tried and failed miserably on my old '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I started with the rear passenger windows, but seeing that the tint looked awful, I just gave up and went to a local tint shop and paid them to do the rest. A couple weeks after doing the tint myself, air bubbles started to pop up and decorate the window. Lesson learned: $80+ is well worth paying someone to professionally do it.

But if you want to do the tint yourself, good luck. Sorry, I don't have any tips, but I guess suggesting a professional to do it is kinda like a tip.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Let the "pro's" do it. I've seen to many home done bubbles.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Softtop1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	25789  
Old 06-20-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

Take it to a shop that uses Llumar and let them do it....

Tinting windows is not as easy as the good window tinters make it look !!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2MWL
Take it to a shop that uses Llumar and let them do it....

Tinting windows is not as easy as the good window tinters make it look !!
Yeah...and when it looks bad it looks REAL BAD. I got mine done at a local shop that a friend told me about. Went across the street had a beer, and when I came back it was done. It was like $80 for both front windows.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by keneds
Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
There's only one tip that I know of. Keep the windows WET as HELL while you put it on. That's all I know.

Purchased the precut 20% tint @ eBay for under $20...Installed it myself, didnt want to deal with having to cut the tint to shape....Just make sure the windows are clean and kept very wet while applying the tint....

Old 06-21-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Slightly off topic but does anybody know what the factory rear windows on the SOFT top are tinted at? . . . I want my fronts to match bu would like to know before bringing it in bc if its below 35 or so then i have to go to a different guy
Old 06-21-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had mine done professionally done. As some guys have stated, it was worth the money and headache. The shop was specific to make sure not to use window cleaners with amonia or alcohol substances as it would supposedly turn the tint purple. The brand of tint on my is what I don't remember, but it was expensive.

Quick Reply: window tint