Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

will an X do the job for me?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will an X do the job for me?

The X we ordered (with AC, sunrider top, and 6 speed) is ready to be shipped. After ordering I have done a lot of reading on this forum and generally get the feeling that the X may be thought of as an inferior machine??! We live back a half mile long gravel drive that can (and has) eaten up other cars over time; mud, potholes, snow drifts, etc... in and out several times a day. The only time I offroad is to get ot a hunting or fishing spot or to a trailhead to hike or backpack. No radical stuff going on here. I guess what I'm asking is, I know it's no Rubicon, but isn't the X comparable (or even superior) to what the competion offers in the way of a sturdy and reliable 4WD?
Thanks all, I LOVE this forum!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tar160
The X we ordered (with AC, sunrider top, and 6 speed) is ready to be shipped. After ordering I have done a lot of reading on this forum and generally get the feeling that the X may be thought of as an inferior machine??! We live back a half mile long gravel drive that can (and has) eaten up other cars over time; mud, potholes, snow drifts, etc... in and out several times a day. The only time I offroad is to get ot a hunting or fishing spot or to a trailhead to hike or backpack. No radical stuff going on here. I guess what I'm asking is, I know it's no Rubicon, but isn't the X comparable (or even superior) to what the competion offers in the way of a sturdy and reliable 4WD?
The X would be the ideal model for what you want to do. if your not going to be going on trailes everyweekend and arent going to be go the rubicon or other high level trailes, then I see no reason to spend the extra money on equipment that you will prob. not use.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live a couple miles down a nasty dirt road in central NH. In mud season (March, April and sometimes early May) the road can be all but impassable. The neighbors 4WD Toyota Tacoma has been burried to its axles before. My Unlimited X had no problem this year and I only had to put into 4H once. Haven't even tried 4L. Buy the X........you won't be sorry.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

The X is a great machine. You won't be dissapointed. I have a stock X and haven't been out wheeled yet. It doesn't sound like your going rock crawling anytime soon... so just enjoy. Think of it as 90% RUBI. But dont take my word for it... I'll just show you

Old 05-26-2007, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, must have been a little buyers remorse setting in, I just couldn't justify a Rubicon with child #1 off to college in the fall and #2 going next year. We have dreamed about owning a wrangler since we got married and now that the kids are basically no longer dependant on us (for rides, they still suck up th $$ like mad) we ordered our rescue green X!! Can't wait to go pick her up.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, must have been a little buyers remorse setting in, I just couldn't justify a Rubicon with child #1 off to college in the fall and #2 going next year. We have dreamed about owning a wrangler since we got married and now that the kids are basically no longer dependant on us (for rides, they still suck up th $$ like mad) we ordered our rescue green X!! Can't wait to go pick her up.
I did the same thing when I was waiting for mine. There is only one cure...Wheel the piss out of it when it comes in!
Just convince the kids they need to get all the scholarship money they can because their book money will now be spent on mods!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am ordering a 6spd X Unlimited with tow package and hard top as the only options. The ~$7-8k to upgrade to a Rubi will be better invested in upgrades. I imagine with $8k worth of upgrades, an X will be able to "out-trail" a stock Rubi. That is my justification for getting the base model JK anyway.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fr33land
The X is a great machine. You won't be dissapointed. I have a stock X and haven't been out wheeled yet. It doesn't sound like your going rock crawling anytime soon... so just enjoy. Think of it as 90% RUBI. But dont take my word for it... I'll just show you

Hey, wait just a minute. My stock X doesn't have rocksliders, and those tires are definately NOT what's on mine. I think I got screwed. I'm taking your pictures and going back to the dealer for a little discussion.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

Put a 3" lift & 33/35"s >(Disconnected) on an "X" or "Sahara" & I don't think you would have much trouble doing the Rubicon. Look real hard in some of these threads and you'll be shocked what these 2 JK's will do.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Is your driveway any worse than this?

If not, you will probably be OK with an X.

Quick Reply: will an X do the job for me?