Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Will a soft top fit under the hard top of a 4 door?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup - that would do it for me too. I used to live in Vancouver and my ride there was violated 6 or 7 times. I now live up north and people are slightly more respectful of other stuff. Mind you here is where I had my YJ stolen and totalled too.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

My soft top has stayed mounted, since I bought my JK and I run with the hard top over it all the time.

I bought a soft top boot which serves 2 purposes. When the hard top is on, the boot wraps around the soft top and protects it when you are sliding things in and out of the back, thus preventing tears. With the hard top off, the boot keeps the soft top from flapping around when the soft top is folded down, and gives it a more tidy look when folded down.

I leave my soft top on all the time, because honestly the only place I have to store it is in my garage and in there, I feel there is a higher risk of me damaging it when moving around yard tools, snow blowers, lawn mowers....getting Christmas, and Halloween decorations out of the rafters...etc...etc.

The only thing you need to do then, is to find a nice safe place for the plastic side brackets and the windows, or throw them in the back of your JK.

I purchased a hard top lift. When it's time to go topless, I just unscrew the hardtop screws and lift her off, then throw the windows and side brackets in the back in case of rain and I'm ready to go and prepared for the unexpected rain.
The following users liked this post:
HP Penns (11-10-2020)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly what I was talking about!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TENNESSEE MAYHEM
Lots of guns/electronics inside and meth/oxy head thieves in my area... Soft top jeeps get sliced for fun around here. People are
Just buy a tuffy under the seat box and glove box and lock all that stuff up. Don't keep anything in it that you don't need to. Leave the soft top down, no one will cut that.

Maybe also if the soft top is up leave a note on it that says, "please do not cut me if you want in, just unzip me!"
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nathanmares
leave a note on it that says, "please do not cut me if you want in, just unzip me!"
:rotfl mao2:
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nathanmares
"please do not cut me if you want in, just unzip me!"
That's what she said?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TENNESSEE MAYHEM
I had a 2 door and my soft top fit under the hard top for those surprise downpours we have in Tennessee. I just bought a 4 door and it came with both tops also. The soft top wasn't installed so now I'm wondering if the geometry of the 4 door vs 2 door still allows the soft top under the hard top for emergencies when the hard top is hanging in the garage...?
This doesn't make since to me..if you have the hardtop on, who cares about a sudden downpour? And if you were to have one when the hardtop is off then you have the softtop is right there, just throw it on. ::
Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

in my opinion, the soft top is super easy to put on and off. If you had dual tops and want to take the hard top off and run without a top, just a few bolts and the soft top is on. Biggest issue is storage of the other top while the other one isn't on. But running both just doesn't make much sense to me. but that is just my two cents.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Super Stroked
in my opinion, the soft top is super easy to put on and off. If you had dual tops and want to take the hard top off and run without a top, just a few bolts and the soft top is on. Biggest issue is storage of the other top while the other one isn't on. But running both just doesn't make much sense to me. but that is just my two cents.
It's just a few bolts, 4 to be exact, but you have to also consider the other time to get it there to mount and screw in those 4 bolts. Carrying the soft top by yourself is not the easiest of things to do, since it's a pretty awkward lift and not the lightest of things to carry. You then have to try to balance the thing and tread the arms by yourself to align them properly so you can feed those bolts through the bracket and mounting bars. Then when it's off, you need to hang it up somewhere to keep it out of harm's way, which additionally means you then also have to take it down from that location to put it on your Jeep. That can easily turn into an extra 30 minute job on top of then having to zip in the windows, screw down the side flanges, tucking it down around the sides and folding it up.

So what's not making sense about just removing the Hard top and not having to do any of that?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sarathesahara
This doesn't make since to me..if you have the hardtop on, who cares about a sudden downpour? And if you were to have one when the hardtop is off then you have the softtop is right there, just throw it on. ::
Because when you want to drive around with the top off, then you just remove the hard top and the soft top is already there "Just in case" it rains before you get your JK back home. It's very easy to find a gas station when you're riding around topless to get some temporary shelter to then take the time to put the soft top up, so you can make your way home without getting the inside of your vehicle soaked.

I kind of thought this was all just common sense, but it's sounding like TENNESSEE MAYHEM and I are the only ones who have thought of this.

Quick Reply: Will a soft top fit under the hard top of a 4 door?