Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Should you sell it before it's not worth anything?
Yes
7.95%
No
92.05%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you already posted my thoughts as I read through this thread. I don't want to come across like a d!ck but Spartan99, if you really feel our Jeeps will soon be obsolete and hold no value, get rid of yours now!!! Seriously, if this is what worries you, you haven't even began life yet. Did you buy your Jeep because it's the "cool thing to have" right now? What are the chances this so called electric Jeep will be out by 2010 and actually be better than what we have now? What happens if this Jeep costs $50,000.00 and takes 10 hours to recharge? What happens if the only electric vehicle Chryler releases in 2010 is that little egg looking thing that has a top speed of 40mph. Come on, there is so much other sh!t to worry about. Do you enjoy your Jeep? If so, live life and keep it!!!! What if our economy puts you out of work and you cant get a job for a while? What if we have a massive terrorist attack? What if you die tomorrow? Theres alot of "what if's" in life, worrying you are going to lose money on your Jeep shouldn't be one of them.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpiotr01
This is crazy talk.

• Chrysler said ONE of these electric models will debut in 2010. Nothing makes me think the Wrangler will be that model. I'd say it's the minivan.
  • They have not even committed to putting a new, more efficient gas engine in the Wrangler by 2010, let alone gutting the entire vehicle by that time
  • Even if they do bring out a few of these electric JKs in earnest by 2010, how much do you think they'll cost? I'd bet in the 40-50K range. A loaded Rubi costs 35K right now. Imagine the price for a vehicle with a brand new system like this...
  • It's hard enough finding the exact JK you want and getting a good price on it right now. This thing is going to be sold at a major premium. You'll see maybe a handful within a hundred mile or so radius. Certainly won't be produced or priced to sell in mass quantities while JKs will be.

Bottom line for me is, this is a great step for a future vehicle. And by future I mean 10-15 years down the road. By then your JK will be paid off and you will have been able to enjoy it for a long time. As someone else mentioned, you don't buy a car so that it increases in value. It loses value over time. The value is in enjoying it.

I think current JK owners have nothing to worry about. Hell, I don't plan on getting a JK until 2010, and I'm under no delusions that this thing will be available to my income bracket - if at all - by then.
Bingo!!! The ONE that MAY come out in 2010 will not be a low volume niche vehicle like the Wrangler. I believe Cerberus announced this on CNBC as a way to make Chrysler look more appealing to a potential buyer. The technology? It's vaporware...
Old 09-24-2008, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

This arguement is like what I was getting in 1989 when I was selling audio/video. 1989.... customer "Why should I buy a new TV now? I read HD TV will be out very soon and this will be obsolete." Me as salesperson... "You realize TV has to be broadcast in HD before HD tv's will ever work or be produced?"

2008 .... 19 years later. HD available for several years now and a reality but still not nearly close to being in every home or even close to all the Networks broadcasting in HD with a limited amount of channels available. Some homes still trying to deal with "digital broadcast" and what to do without an antenna on their roofs.

What would that customer 19 years ago been doing for a TV all this time if they had waited for HD?

Last edited by Dylanjam77; 09-24-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This whole thread needs the ANAL test.

JEEZ.....( visualize tired disgusted JK owner sucking the blue off the end of a shotgun)
Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMHO no vehicle on the road today will be obsolete in this decade or the next. If our wranglers were obsolete, so would a lot of other vehicles like trucks.

Its not going to happen. If we think the economy is bad now, imagine what would happen if in just a couple years from now, EVERYONE with a car payment for something not getting 50mpg had worthless vehicles that they still owed a ton of money on.

I guarantee, that as long as any oil company is still in exhistence, no gas powered vehicle will ever be obsolete. They arent gonna just let electric powerd vehicles, water powered vehicles, or vehicles that run on our own sense of self satisfaction just take over. Its too much money for them to lose. And I bet they have a lot of influence over decision makers for these kind of things.

Just my thoughts
Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By 2010 I plan to have my jk rollin on 40'sw/d-60's and a gas suckin supercharger. I'll be eatin a greasy cheeseburger as I stack that 40 from my rebel flag hood paint jobbed JK on top of one of those elec wranglers. I think that would be fun.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
By 2010 I plan to have my jk rollin on 40'sw/d-60's and a gas suckin supercharger. I'll be eatin a greasy cheeseburger as I stack that 40 from my rebel flag hood paint jobbed JK on top of one of those elec wranglers. I think that would be fun.

i love it! well said
Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

WOW....Guess I'm going in the wrong direction....41" tires, 5.38 gears, Ripp supercharger, dana 60's....I gave up on gas economy a LONG time ago...on the upside I did gain MPG with the SuperCharger.......to each there own...but your not a true Jeeper if you bought your Jeep to be an investment AND get good gas mileage ....IT'S A FREAKIN TOASTER FOR CHRIST SAKE!....the Jeep will never die off...too many of us LOYAL wheelers!

....go buy a Honda
Old 09-24-2008, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

those chrysler guys were full of it!! that "dodge ev" is the tesla roadster. its built on a lotus elise chassis, slightly different body panels. do i think the chrysler group has the resources to build an entire range of electric vehciles?? no way!! as someone said already, if they do somehow mange to bring an ev to market by 2010, it will be the minivan, and possibly a sedan as well. it wont be a jeep or a truck. i've been planning on buying a jk this spring and, well, i'm not holding my breath or my wallet for an ev jeep.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by norcalJK
those chrysler guys were full of it!! that "dodge ev" is the tesla roadster. its built on a lotus elise chassis, slightly different body panels. do i think the chrysler group has the resources to build an entire range of electric vehciles?? no way!! as someone said already, if they do somehow mange to bring an ev to market by 2010, it will be the minivan, and possibly a sedan as well. it wont be a jeep or a truck. i've been planning on buying a jk this spring and, well, i'm not holding my breath or my wallet for an ev jeep.
An EV jeep will not be the same as a JK jeep.

Unless they can reinvent the laws of physics.

Quick Reply: Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value?