Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Should you sell it before it's not worth anything?
Yes
7.95%
No
92.05%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
After reading this thread I definately agree that the OP should sell his Jeep. NOW!
X10000000000 Good call
Old 09-24-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm running mine till the wheels fall off.

If the wheels fall off in two years I'll look at the EV.

Worrying about future value is rediculas. Enjoy it now!

Following the logic of worring what the future Jeeps will be like, the 2010 EV owners will be worrying about the future plasma-fusion powered JKs that may come out in 2050 making their JKEV's worthless
Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think we have anything to worry about. Besides I don't have any plans of selling. like Berg said I'm driving mine until the wheels fall off, then I'll put them back on and drive it some more
Old 09-24-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is crazy talk.

• Chrysler said ONE of these electric models will debut in 2010. Nothing makes me think the Wrangler will be that model. I'd say it's the minivan.
  • They have not even committed to putting a new, more efficient gas engine in the Wrangler by 2010, let alone gutting the entire vehicle by that time
  • Even if they do bring out a few of these electric JKs in earnest by 2010, how much do you think they'll cost? I'd bet in the 40-50K range. A loaded Rubi costs 35K right now. Imagine the price for a vehicle with a brand new system like this...
  • It's hard enough finding the exact JK you want and getting a good price on it right now. This thing is going to be sold at a major premium. You'll see maybe a handful within a hundred mile or so radius. Certainly won't be produced or priced to sell in mass quantities while JKs will be.

Bottom line for me is, this is a great step for a future vehicle. And by future I mean 10-15 years down the road. By then your JK will be paid off and you will have been able to enjoy it for a long time. As someone else mentioned, you don't buy a car so that it increases in value. It loses value over time. The value is in enjoying it.

I think current JK owners have nothing to worry about. Hell, I don't plan on getting a JK until 2010, and I'm under no delusions that this thing will be available to my income bracket - if at all - by then.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

As I see it it really doesn't matter, cars are always bad investment... and I don't see chrysler coming out with a functional electric JK for at least 3-4 years, and the first one will likely carry a price premium. Also as electric car become more popular and as electricity is produced by alternative energy forms (wind,nuclear,hydro...) gas will probably become cheaper as demand for it will decrease sharply.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

the ev is gonna cost a fortune when it comes out i imagine....i wouldn't worry about it......love your jeep
Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

sell it... FAST!

i didnt buy my Jeep for fuel economy
Old 09-24-2008, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon Rando
sell it... FAST!

i didnt buy my Jeep for fuel economy
HEY! I did...I bought it with 4:10's for when I put bigger tires on
Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

50mpg? Yeah, ok. Released in 2010? Sure, sure. One of the guys at work bought a Toyota Highlander Hybrid for his wife and with mixed driving, he doesn't even get 30mpg out of it, let alone 50. As for the release date, they're never accurate, 2015 would probably be closer to the mark.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
My exact thinking....how reliable with off-road conditions would electric be especially around water??? How far can you go on electric off-road????
Like someone has mentioned....they are in the top 5 for resale value. Why worry about it...it's a depreciating value regardless....enjoy your ride.
My kids "Power Wheels Jeep" was fun but didn't last when they saw what dad did. Electric scares me. My daughter went ffrom the power wheels to a Hybrid Camry (it seems like yesterday) and I get all kinds of grap for my Jeep but I've had them for years and I'm not changing unless I have to.

Quick Reply: Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value?