Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Should you sell it before it's not worth anything?
Yes
7.95%
No
92.05%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes that's a good point, but which consumer maintains the value of the JK? The mass consumer/Jeep buyer who'll never go offroad but wants that image, or the true offroader? I say the former, and they'll want better mileage. There are more Wranglers than there are serious offroaders, which'll drive down the value of a used Wrangler. Supply and demand.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Yes that's a good point, but which consumer maintains the value of the JK? The mass consumer/Jeep buyer who'll never go offroad but wants that image, or the true offroader? I say the former, and they'll want better mileage. There are more Wranglers than there are serious offroaders, which'll drive down the value of a used Wrangler. Supply and demand.
not sure anymore. It used to be a different dynamic. The 4 door certainly increased the number of owners buying a Jeep as a 4wd minivan. I think that only strengthens the value of the older ones since the off road capable vehicles will become fewer and fewer in quantity. I see what you are saying though about the Jeep crowd today.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You articulate my point better than I do. To follow on your articulation, the average Jeep buyer is looking for a fun, capable (might offroad once in a while), useful (might have kids) and all around vehicle. In a few years, will the market be flooded with what might then be unwanted versions of the Wrangler, considering that Chrysler's new version will be much much more appealing with the better mpg? I can't help but think "yes." And if that's the case, the only logical conclusion regarding the value of our used JK's would be that the value would decrease dramatically compared to if the future included JK's with mileage similar to what we're getting now. Gotta hand it to Chyrsler. If this happens I'll bet that people will be unloading their older Jeeps in droves to go and buy a new one. Excellent marketing strategy, those bastards.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm I cant wait to see how reliable a completely electric jeep will be Especially when they are exposed to harsh off road conditions Can you just imagine the warranty claims
Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

my lease will be up in early 2011 & i can then decide if i want to buy it out or move on to the pri-wrangl-ius.

will there be outlets on the trails for us to plug in our electric jeeps?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bly109
hmmmm I cant wait to see how reliable a completely electric jeep will be Especially when they are exposed to harsh off road conditions Can you just imagine the warranty claims
My exact thinking....how reliable with off-road conditions would electric be especially around water??? How far can you go on electric off-road????
Like someone has mentioned....they are in the top 5 for resale value. Why worry about it...it's a depreciating value regardless....enjoy your ride.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

What ever happened to just having a Jeep because you like it? This is my first, but have always wanted one! Even if I only got 2 years out of it, it will we a great 2 years!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading this thread I definately agree that the OP should sell his Jeep. NOW!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
Where is this coming from? Our new Jeeps get 15mpg. In two years, Jeeps apparently might be getting 50. If gas stays at $4, wouldn't you prefer a Jeep that gets 50mpg over a Jeep that gets 15mpg? I would. In two years our JK's could be rendered totally obsolete in one quick stroke, thus our JK's will hold little value. It's really quite simple. At that point someone selling their older JK will have to sell it very cheaply in order to keep someone from buying a new one that'll get unbelievable mileage. I'm thinking about selling mine. Take a loss of a few thousand from selling it, drive a crap gas sipper for a few years, save for a down payment and get a JK that gets 50mpg. Something to think about.
I initially posted here before I read the post about the Electric Jeep, which I am assuming many others are doing as well.

Electric Wrangler

Even with that though, I wouldn't imagine that they are going to market the Wrangler as the first out the shoot on this one. Besides you also have to factor in sticker shock, etc. I don't think our Jeeps will have any problems holding value for the next decade or so, and I think that using the word obsolete is rather bold.

Just my opinion on it, but now I can at least see what you are getting at, after reading all about the Electric Wrangler.

Last edited by gryph0n; 09-24-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hanging free

Originally Posted by gryph0n
Historically, Jeeps hold their value like a MoFo, unlike most other vehicles that are out there.
Currently rated #2 all time best at retaining the value

Quick Reply: Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value?