Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Should you sell it before it's not worth anything?
Yes
7.95%
No
92.05%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value?

Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value, meaning it's time to sell sell sell?
Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is this coming from?

Historically, Jeeps hold their value like a MoFo, unlike most other vehicles that are out there.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartan99
Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value, meaning it's time to sell sell sell?
So if you sold now ..What would you drive.. new model wont comeout untill 2010 .. Why sell.. it will also take a few yrs before people warm up to the idea of electric .. Sit back and relax you already have your investment or not ..
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Where is this coming from? Our new Jeeps get 15mpg. In two years, Jeeps apparently might be getting 50. If gas stays at $4, wouldn't you prefer a Jeep that gets 50mpg over a Jeep that gets 15mpg? I would. In two years our JK's could be rendered totally obsolete in one quick stroke, thus our JK's will hold little value. It's really quite simple. At that point someone selling their older JK will have to sell it very cheaply in order to keep someone from buying a new one that'll get unbelievable mileage. I'm thinking about selling mine. Take a loss of a few thousand from selling it, drive a crap gas sipper for a few years, save for a down payment and get a JK that gets 50mpg. Something to think about.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

no wrangler is going to get 50mpg, not gonna happen. i know they are talking about diesel wranglers and what not. still not gonne happen. wranglers will always be popular rigs, so the prices will always be relatively high. but 50 mpg from a wrangler?? i dont think so...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

A car is not an investment. It's a liability. So when evaluating the risk in the liability of a JK, it appears as though in a few years this product will be nothing compared to the new one. Therefore is it worth it to keep making payments when after it's paid off, the new model will make this one look like something from the 1800's, drastically affecting its resale value? It's a logical question and something to think about. Personally, I'm pissed at Chrysler for doing this because it only makes people second guess the current line up of Wranglers.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't believe anything you read in the papers, it's all speculation......
Old 09-24-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
Where is this coming from? Our new Jeeps get 15mpg. In two years, Jeeps apparently might be getting 50. If gas stays at $4, wouldn't you prefer a Jeep that gets 50mpg over a Jeep that gets 15mpg? I would. In two years our JK's could be rendered totally obsolete in one quick stroke, thus our JK's will hold little value. It's really quite simple. At that point someone selling their older JK will have to sell it very cheaply in order to keep someone from buying a new one that'll get unbelievable mileage. I'm thinking about selling mine. Take a loss of a few thousand from selling it, drive a crap gas sipper for a few years, save for a down payment and get a JK that gets 50mpg. Something to think about.
a JK that gets 50 miles per gallon..??? i'm sorry but you're dreaming. not to mention think of all the other cars that have become obsolete over time that have increased if value because of their brand loyalty. remember the delorean? or the countless other cars that are no longer made but pull in big money. I agree with your thinking that if they day comes that jeeps get incredibly more milage than they do now, people then will be going after the fuel friendly jeeps... but seriously, a fuel friendly jeep wont have solid axles, rolling chassis, etc etc etc... all the things that make us jeep lovers love our jeeps and everything that makes them the super capable off road machines they are will be compromised to make them fuel efficient. Meaning, anyone looking to have a real 4x4 will still want the crappy milage JKs we're driving now. beside, i love my jeep, i'm not selling it for speculated 50mpg jeeps of the future. if they come out with a worth while jeep that gets 50 mpgs, maybe i'll buy one for a DD and keep this as my trail rig... i guess we'll all just have to see
Old 09-24-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There will always be a demand for Jeeps that can go off road when the electric one comes out. There will also be a demand for Jeeps that can be modified without problems.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should definitely sell yours now and wait till 2010 when the electric one WILL definitely come out

go for it let us know how that works out for ya

Quick Reply: Will our Jeeps soon be obsolete and thus hold no value?