Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wife wrecked the JK!!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt P
I've been calling my vehicle's, Betsy, since I've been driving.

I kinda like mules, they work hard. That fits the JK, right!?!?
yep thats why i thought it was fitting for a jeep,hope all is ok
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sgt P
First, she's ok!!!

My wife (usually) drives a 2001 Cherokee Limited, but the air is on the fritz, so she's been "borrowing" Betsy (my JK)...

She called me at 5pm, and said she was in a three car wreck. She was hit from behind by a BMW and she hit a Ford Explorer.

Unfortunately this happened on her way to visit her Mom, 90 miles away. So, I won't see the damage until Sunday.

Here's how she describes the scene:
The Ford Explorer has a scratch on the rear bumper, and she see's no damage on the front of my Wrangler.

The BMW is totaled, and had to be towed away. The rear of my Wrangler has bumper damage, and the hitch is bent down (the ball was in the receiver.)

The cop let my wife drive away, and the tow guy said she was lucky to be in a "tank". So kudo's to Chysler/Jeep. I'm assuming they wouldn't have let her dirve if there were problems. And she didn't feel any shimmys, etc.
My wife didn't get a ticket, but "contributed" to the accident. So my insurance will get hit with the Ford damage.

Who has experience with this??? I want to play fair with the BMW, but I don't want a "bent" Jeep, that chews through tires the rest of it's life.
My wife did the panic stop thing Driving a grand Cherokee and was very proud she did not hit the Cherokee in front of her but the ford P/U behind did not stop and she was hit back glass went but still never touched the Cherokee in the front TILL the dude in the bromobile 72 chevy with 20’s hit the ford P/U so hard they were all driven together his speed was estimated at 50+ Well it shortened the grand 3 foot over all loosing all the rear glass and sunroof The tail gate had 2 very distinctive ford ovals one higher then the other from the 2 impacts.
Insurance refused to total it saying 80% of retail value is what it takes, I am not sure who’s insurance paid for what but I paid my $200 deductible and 6 months later got a check back for it with a note saying they had won in court, Once fixed I traded the grand for a new tahoe after seeing that there’s only a sub frame in the grand like a Honda car.
Have your wife stay on alert for pain, It took a long time for all the injury’s to show.
Good luck with the JK With today’s frame machines I am sure it will be fixed like new.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Freak

One more thing going back and looking at the pictures of the damage looking up the spare tire looks like it is no longer straight may want to check the tail gate/mount/rim?, or I may just be crazy.
Frank.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaltChief
By law you are required to be in control of your vehicle at all times. When you hit someone frombehind even if the force of another vehicle causes it, you are responsible. You are suppose to stop with e full carlink between you and the vehicle in front of you to prevent this.

Is it right....I don't think so, but it is the law.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! That a insurance company talking... That will never hold up in court. Get a attorney and have that BMW driver pay for it all! I would bet that frame is bent! If it is have it totaled. If that bent frame causes something down the road to fail and you take it to the dealership and they see that it has been wrecked YOU CAN KISS YOUR LIFETIME POWER TRAIN WARRANTY GOODBYE! And they will blame every problem you have on the accident from there on out! Remember if you take it to have a estimate on the damage the shop is required to log it so it will show up on a Car Fax report forever!

Now is the time to get your Jeep replaced! If not you will pay for all the parts to be replaced later on down the road!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whpony96
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! That a insurance company talking... That will never hold up in court. Get a attorney and have that BMW driver pay for it all! I would bet that frame is bent! If it is have it totaled. If that bent frame causes something down the road to fail and you take it to the dealership and they see that it has been wrecked YOU CAN KISS YOUR LIFETIME POWER TRAIN WARRANTY GOODBYE! And they will blame every problem you have on the accident from there on out! Remember if you take it to have a estimate on the damage the shop is required to log it so it will show up on a Car Fax report forever!

Now is the time to get your Jeep replaced! If not you will pay for all the parts to be replaced later on down the road!

hmmm...very interesting take on the legalities of this scenario...I understand the logic behind the BMW being at fault...and if it were a tractor trailer hitting you from behind at 5 mph...however, as far as I'm aware regarding laws where I'm from it comes down to interpretation of 'was she too close' ...she could be found at fault if she was found to be stopped, or 'following' too close...conversely it could very well turn out she was not too close and will not be held at fault....the insurance companies will carry out a thorough investigation and someone will make the determination...everyones story will be microscoped and data from the BMW's black box regarding it's speed will play a HEAVY role....I'm saying it could go either way and that's just the way it goes unfortunately....yes you can be fined for following too close, at least here in Alberta Canada you can, and if your found to be too close when rear ended causing you to hit the vehicle infront of you, then you were too close
Old 08-22-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
hmmm...very interesting take on the legalities of this scenario...I understand the logic behind the BMW being at fault...and if it were a tractor trailer hitting you from behind at 5 mph...however, as far as I'm aware regarding laws where I'm from it comes down to interpretation of 'was she too close' ...she could be found at fault if she was found to be stopped, or 'following' too close...conversely it could very well turn out she was not too close and will not be held at fault....the insurance companies will carry out a thorough investigation and someone will make the determination...everyones story will be microscoped and data from the BMW's black box regarding it's speed will play a HEAVY role....I'm saying it could go either way and that's just the way it goes unfortunately....yes you can be fined for following too close, at least here in Alberta Canada you can, and if your found to be too close when rear ended causing you to hit the vehicle infront of you, then you were too close
once again.

Read my reply in this threat
Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob4607
Been there done that, it is not your fault as long as the vehicle hit you from behind and drove you into the vehicle infront of you. They tried a scare tactic on us and said if worse comes to worse I will have to use my insurance to cover my repairs, I flipped out and went nuclear meltdown redneck in their office and they changed their point of view.
It's all a game to the insurance companies. Anyway they can figure to get out of paying a buck they will try.

Atena (the other guys insurance company) tried to asign 40% blame on me for an accident that was clearly not my fault. This was after their "investigation". An investigation where no one ever came out and talked to me or looked at my car or the accident scene.

I called the NJ insurance commisioner's office. They told me that Atena was good for trying that scam. When I told Atena that I had contacted the commisioner's office, all of a sudden some new facts came to light and I got the full payoff.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by berg
It's all a game to the insurance companies. Anyway they can figure to get out of paying a buck they will try.

Atena (the other guys insurance company) tried to asign 40% blame on me for an accident that was clearly not my fault. This was after their "investigation". An investigation where no one ever came out and talked to me or looked at my car or the accident scene.

I called the NJ insurance commisioner's office. They told me that Atena was good for trying that scam. When I told Atena that I had contacted the commisioner's office, all of a sudden some new facts came to light and I got the full payoff.
LOL thats classic
Old 08-22-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default study all aspects

Carfax data is taken from insurance company databases, not repair shop estimates. If your vehicle is repaired at a jeep dealership with genuine jeep parts, NO used or counterfeit parts, your warranty will STILL be in effect. Unaffected portions of the vehicle will have no warranty issues. Only vehicles with a branded title ( total loss or former total loss and rebuilt) are subject to cancellation of their warranty. Remember when dealing with an insurance company you are not required to make a decision or make any response to any offer or proposal until you have researched the offer and made an informed, calm , rational decision.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Update...

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Remember when dealing with an insurance company you are not required to make a decision or make any response to any offer or proposal until you have researched the offer and made an informed, calm , rational decision.
This is easier said than done! (the calm and rational part)

First, Carla is hurting. I don't think its long term or serious (hopefully), but starting Monday morning (the wreck was the Friday before), she could barely move. I guess the sudden rear impact took a few days to "register"...

The doc has her on 3 different pain and relaxer med's. But she is still hurting (back, headaches) a full week later.

She's missed a few days of work, and the days she was there, I'm sure, she wasn't at the top of her game.

She also teaches Jazzercise, three days a week, and has paid substitutes each class.

Now, for Betsy (my JK)...
The BMW has Allstate as the insurer. The Allstate rep that was originally assigned, has never talked to me (the vehicle owner). In fact if I had not called and called and called (zeroing out of the voice mail) I would still be waiting. They want to drag everything out. I'd like to "take 'em out to the woods"!! There is a new adjuster due to the injuries, and Carla has talked to her, but I have never talked with the assigned adjuster, just others that answer when I zero out. They are sending a check without ever talking to the vehicle owner!?!

Betsy is at my dealership bodyshop. They are expecting the repairs to take a week.
Then I get to argue diminished value. This is where I'm worried...

Thanks to all for the well wishes. Carla appreciates that...

Quick Reply: Wife wrecked the JK!!