Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wife wrecked the JK!!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BaltChief
By law you are required to be in control of your vehicle at all times. When you hit someone frombehind even if the force of another vehicle causes it, you are responsible. You are suppose to stop with e full carlink between you and the vehicle in front of you to prevent this.

Is it right....I don't think so, but it is the law.
If you are stopped then you have full control of your vehicle and if you did not already hit the vehicle in front of you there was enough space between. So, if a plane crashed and tossed her vehicle into a building she would have contributed to the accident?

Last edited by Robar; 08-15-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

By law you are required to be in control of your vehicle at all times. When you hit someone frombehind even if the force of another vehicle causes it, you are responsible. You are suppose to stop with e full carlink between you and the vehicle in front of you to prevent this.

I think your right for South Carolina. That's why the police report has her "contributing". I'm also glad she didn't get a ticket...

Apparently there were several other wrecks with injuries up ahead of my wifes pile-up...
Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hope Betsy and your wife are both ok
Old 08-15-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

anytime your dealing with police reports and insurance companys dragging there feet it can't be good
Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Glad to hear everyone is alright! Atleast the wreck wasn't so severe you couldn't drive away! Now you have an execuse to get a new rear bumper!(If you didn't already have one!)
Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about your home state but baltchief is correct about maryland, I have been rearended twice and shoved into other vechiles both times. The way it works insurance wise is the bmw pays for your jeep and you pay for the explorer. I think it is very unfair and just plain sucks!!! I think if you did not cause the accident then you should have no liability at all. Unfortunatly the Insurance companies are as close as you can get to legalized extortion. JMHO!!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

That's my understanding as well..Was always taught to leave ample clearance for the vehicle in front of you...But I do hope your insurance fights for it and all be in favor of you & your wife...Sorry, but best of luck...
Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a friend who just went through this plus having a passenger with real injuries requiring surgery and disability. What the law states in SC is if you rearend someone regardless of reason you are responsible for the damage to the other vehicle including if a vehicle hits you and knocks you into another vehicle. In the case of being rearended the other vehicle is responsible for all damages to your vehicle as well as all resulting losses on your part (IE your costs for hitting the other vehicle and even medical bills). The best thing to do is two fold turn it over to your insurance company including having your jeep fixed (I know you have full coverage right?) and getting a Lawyer to take the case in regard to deductables and the pain in your wife's back (yes I know you say she is fine and I could not do it either).

BTW his lawyer was hired for him by his insurance company and guarenteed they got what they paid out to the driver he hit/was forced into.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in a three car wreck about a year ago in my '04 F250. I was the front vehicle. Some bimbo rammed a Jeep Grand Cherokee from behind and pushed it into me. Your wife will bear no fault in this accident. She did not cause it. The Beamer did. Even though your wife hit someone from behind, this is an exception to the rule. She only hit the vehicle in front because she was pushed into it. It was not her fault. Glad she is ok and glad it sounds like your Jeep has minimal damage.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 15 year old kid with his learners permit here in CA made a left in front of me causing my Unlimited X to Die. It was salvaged and destroyed, but I walked away from the accident.

Kudos to DC!!! That Jeep saved my legs and my life!

Quick Reply: Wife wrecked the JK!!