Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wife wrecked the JK!!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Wife wrecked the JK!!

First, she's ok!!!

My wife (usually) drives a 2001 Cherokee Limited, but the air is on the fritz, so she's been "borrowing" Betsy (my JK)...

She called me at 5pm, and said she was in a three car wreck. She was hit from behind by a BMW and she hit a Ford Explorer.

Unfortunately this happened on her way to visit her Mom, 90 miles away. So, I won't see the damage until Sunday.

Here's how she describes the scene:
The Ford Explorer has a scratch on the rear bumper, and she see's no damage on the front of my Wrangler.

The BMW is totaled, and had to be towed away. The rear of my Wrangler has bumper damage, and the hitch is bent down (the ball was in the receiver.)

The cop let my wife drive away, and the tow guy said she was lucky to be in a "tank". So kudo's to Chysler/Jeep. I'm assuming they wouldn't have let her dirve if there were problems. And she didn't feel any shimmys, etc.
My wife didn't get a ticket, but "contributed" to the accident. So my insurance will get hit with the Ford damage.

Who has experience with this??? I want to play fair with the BMW, but I don't want a "bent" Jeep, that chews through tires the rest of it's life.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain Brother .
Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad to hear she's ok... The Jeep can be fixed or replaced....

Is it a stock hitch mount that is connected to the last crossmember on the frame??
Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Just how did she contribute to the accident if she was struck from behind, which I am sure pushed her into the Explorer? Sounds like the BMW is at total fault.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuzzHog
Is it a stock hitch mount that is connected to the last crossmember on the frame??
Yes
Old 08-15-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
Just how did she contribute to the accident if she was struck from behind, which I am sure pushed her into the Explorer? Sounds like the BMW is at total fault.
I agree, but I wasn't there...

Is that something that can be argued after the fact??!?!?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Sgt P
I agree, but I wasn't there...

Is that something that can be argued after the fact??!?!?
Most certainly. Your insurance should argue that for you. Was your wife stopped or moving. If the BMW strikes her causing her to hit the vehicle in front of her then I would have shown the BMW at fault, because she would most likely not have hit the Explorer if the BMW didn't hit her first.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

That sucks! But at least she is ok. I would definitely get your JK gone over by a frame shop to make sure nothing got tweaked.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

By law you are required to be in control of your vehicle at all times. When you hit someone frombehind even if the force of another vehicle causes it, you are responsible. You are suppose to stop with e full carlink between you and the vehicle in front of you to prevent this.

Is it right....I don't think so, but it is the law.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most certainly. Your insurance should argue that for you. Was your wife stopped or moving. If the BMW strikes her causing her to hit the vehicle in front of her then I would have shown the BMW at fault, because she would most likely not have hit the Explorer if the BMW didn't hit her first.
She was moving, but I don't know what she said at the scene.

After making sure she was ok, I started to prepare her for the two scenarios, the front and the back. But, of course she was flustered, and thought I was being a jerk.

I want to play fair, but better the BMW's insurance than mine!

Do stock bumper replacements cost the same as AEV's??? I'm smelling an upgrade...

Quick Reply: Wife wrecked the JK!!