Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wife and Jeep

Old 04-10-2020, 04:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Why will a JL be far superior to a JK?
more safety nannies, they have the safety group and advanced safety group options and they are wider and longer.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand that JKs are more vulnerable to rollovers. But how many times does that happen. There could be so many opinions and theories out there of how JKs are dangerous. But theories and opinions were proved to be wrong in cases. I could not find factual statistics on JK accident cases. But I did find a legitimate source where JK was not mentioned in recorded cases by model and year. https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-...make-and-model. So I guess thats a good news.
My guess is how the driver is. Being a Jeep, the driver has to be careful, unless offroading haha.
I do have a lift but I will be swapping to long arms soon where it has been proved to have more stability on and off road.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
more safety nannies, they have the safety group and advanced safety group options and they are wider and longer.
Ok, so 3" longer and 2.5" wider may be a tiny bit better, but I wouldn't say the Jl is far superior than the jk.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

I never pass up a chance to post my rear ender.

Bent the plate bracket:

The minivan that hit me:

The following users liked this post:
Rob Mirsky (07-20-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Ok, so 3" longer and 2.5" wider may be a tiny bit better, but I wouldn't say the Jl is far superior than the jk.
JLs are cool but damn theyre to expensive.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I never pass up a chance to post my rear ender.

Bent the plate bracket:

The minivan that hit me:
damn!!!!
Old 04-11-2020, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Orazi
damn!!!!
Yes! However I don't pretend the Jeep is a terribly "safe" vehicle. Honestly I'd rather get in a serious accident in a minivan. The jeep is great for low speed/door ding/bump kind of accidents. The safe cars are the ones that crumple that we make fun of. Zero deformation from a steel bumper looks impressive, but all the impact force is being transferred to the occupants. That said, My son has traveled in the naked jeep since he was born. Is there an increased risk? Sure. But the 999,999 times out of a million that we don't get in that accident you can bet we're having more fun in the Jeep. I'll take the risk rather than schlepping my family around in some dead-eyed, soulless crossover.
The following users liked this post:
Rob Mirsky (07-20-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 12:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Is it possible that you give her reason to worry that you might be in an accident? It is safer to drive safely than to depend on a safe vehicle to keep you out of trouble. I won't lecture you, but I'll share a humorous story of my only accident* in a half century of driving.

I was on a business trip to the Boston area in the late 90s, driving a rental car. Busy, two-lane highway at lunch time. Car behind me was getting on my tail because I was strictly following the speed limit. I almost always do. The speed limit drops to 35 (I now know) from 45. I guess I subconsciously drop my speed. Anyway, as I round the bend ahead, an oncoming, quite large delivery truck, turns across my lane. I want to avoid him by driving off the pavement, but there's a permanent barrier. So, I slam the brakes and hope for the best as I slam into the side of him. The air bags do their job (the daytime running lights obviously did not). I'm fine, car is a mess--later learned it was totaled. Police arrive and officer asks me how fast I was going. I say 45. The fellow that was tailgating me, who also happened to be a medic, interrupted: "No he wasn't, he was going 35. I was annoyed he was going so slow." Officer responds, "Well, the speed limit is 35 here. It was reduced because of all the accidents." I happen to mention that I think I could have avoided it had that barrier not been there preventing me from going off the road. "Yeah, we've had people do that before. We keep them out of there because during his ride, Paul Revere took a break under those trees." Yeah, I was involved in accident because someone wants to preserve the place where Paul Revere stopped to pee.

*Ignoring my off-road misadventures, which were never more than bumping into a tree or limb at a couple MPH.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-12-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Is it possible that you give her reason to worry that you might be in an accident? It is safer to drive safely than to depend on a safe vehicle to keep you out of trouble.
This is my philosophy as well. I treat the Jeep the same as the motorcycle. I don't want to get creamed while I'm in it so I'm a little extra careful. I check my mirrors at red lights, I look for red light runners before I go first on green, and a zillion other little things that have accrued over time. Some things are unavoidable (like the above rear end accident where the minivan just drove right into me while stopped in traffic), but I feel like thoughtful driving cuts the risk significantly.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

My kids weren't infants or toddlers by the time jeep came into the family, but I'd still never want kids that young in there. I have no grand visions of it being safe, and it's damn uncomfortable as well. Even grade school age....those rear seat belts suck. They hit kids on the neck, even when in booster seats. the way the rear belts mount to the rollbar in the 4drs is issue IMO. Guess the middle seat is an option if you have one kid, but that sux too. Honestly, that is the point you just use spouse's car as kid-mobile, and if need by, you get a commuter car and the jeep becomes toy/3-rd vehicle. I'll side with your wife on this one.....but I wouldn't get rid of the jeep

I wouldn't have an issue with them in a jeep from time to time.....just not as a daily driver shuttling them around. just my opinion.

Mark - you always got good stories!

Last edited by resharp001; 04-16-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Wife and Jeep