Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wife and Jeep

Old 04-09-2020, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wife and Jeep

So I just married to my loving wife and I am currently overseas. Were planning on having a child when I get back home. But she said something that worries me. She said that my Jeep is not safe for kids and she would rather them be not in them. I told her that I drive my nephews and nieces all the time. I also told her that statistically, Jeeps are safer. Well, she did say she likes it and she says I am crazy for liking it lol. But I am kind of worried. Should I be worried?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:01 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I personally think they are very safe. Obviously if you lift them too much you could have a problem. But jeeps nowadays are wider and most people are not pushing them up too far. We had a 98 wrangler and my wife was sitting at a red light. This Ford 250 didn't see the stopped traffic and hit her at over 45 miles an hour. The jeep was totaled because it bent but I drove it home. My wife had a little bruise on her leg but there was no glass and the jeep frame took it all. Like I said she didn't have any issues. How many cars can you say that about. She is a die hard fan of how safe Jeeps are! That said I am not sure jeeps are the best for long family drives etc. Just my point of view.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a video of a kid texting and running into the back of my Jeep at about 35 mph. I drove home with some of his paint on my rear bumper. (Granted, I do have aftermarket steel bumpers but still... from the drivers seat the impact was minimal)

Just show her this video. I can provide a few pics too of the aftermath that will really sell her.

The following users liked this post:
Rob Mirsky (07-20-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 04-10-2020, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

in reality they are not a safe vehicle. I know everyone wants to think they are and it is easy to justify how safe they are when you see a small compact car destroyed from rear ending one with a steel bumper. A 2018 stock JK gets a 3 star front drive crash rating and only a 2 star passenger star rating.
Jeeps have a reputation for being tough, gritty off-road vehicles, but Wrangler is one of the most dangerous cars on the road. Its 27.9% chance of rolling over is worst among all SUVs, while the its poor ratings for side crash tests and visibility make the two-door model even worse than the four-door version.

I was in LE for 30 years and one of our accident investigators who had at least 10 years on the department before I started said I was crazy for owing a jeep. She had been to every national level investigators course in existence and was an academy instructor. I asked why she thought they were so bad and she said they do not fare well in highway rollovers. She said those are things people don't think about but happen because people take emergency action or over correct etc. remember all accidents are not just simple rear enders.

One last thing is before I retired she actually bought a YJ lol.

https://insideevs.com/news/385399/vi...rash-rollover/
Old 04-10-2020, 09:02 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

The newer jeeps are still a little higher than others but you have trucks etc. that are worse. The newer jeeps (2017) was ranked # 5 with the Silverado truck the worst. The older jeeps were more narrow . When ours was hit by the F250 truck it bent the jeep, broke the seat bracket and of course damaged the back. But the seats and my wife were fine. I have been in smaller wrecks with a more injuries.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Most of the reason people do t think they are safe is the perception of rollover. We're not talking CJ-5 here. Our modern jeeps don't have a tendency to roll over on the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by rob_engineer:
Jay2013jk (04-10-2020), user 729872082 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got rear ended by the sedan. You can see the outcome. I mean, I don't really see many jeeps in accidents other than off-road or clumsyness
Old 04-10-2020, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

simple rear enders are not what you need to worry about for family safety it is the rollovers that occur at highway speed or the side impacts. A JL will be far superior to a JK and a JK superior to a TJ and so on but the JK is still more likely to roll than other SUV's. This happens from emergency maneuvers and from over correcting when veering off the road etc. We are jeep fans and over look things but being logical and looking at the data they are not great kid haulers.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Why will a JL be far superior to a JK?

Quick Reply: Wife and Jeep