Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why are so many new modded Jeeps for sale?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are so many new modded Jeeps for sale?

I am a noob to JEEPS considering an Unlimited. I am just curious about the seemingly large number of newer (1 maybe 2 year old) JK's that are lightly modded (lifts and tires) with very low miles that are for sale. What do you think the reason is? They don't like it after the mods, problems. They hate the ride? Not what they thought it would be? Just looking for some possible reasons from those in the know....thanks.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

The JK has definitely been the "entry point" for a lot of new Jeep owners, especially the Unlimited. Maybe they trade them in because its not what they thought it would be (they really wanted a luxury SUV) Maybe they bought less Jeep than they thought they needed and have upgraded. (bought an X and decided they wanted a Rubi and didn't want to do the work themselves)
Old 09-26-2010, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Just my opinion: I lot of people need a minivan but minivan's aren't cool. They get a big Jeep instead. They do the Jeep thing and put a lift and bigger tires on it. Turns out they didn't need a Jeep, they needed a minivan. They can't handle the flaws/quirks of the Jeep, they need better mileage, they need more storage and seating, and they want a smoother more plush ride. Minivan people can't handle rattling doors, leaky roofs, and wind noise. Some people just aren't Jeep people and need to stick with plush SUVs and minivans. It's a Jeep thing. You either get it or you don't. It's too bad some people need to waste a lot of money to figure out they're not cut out for "the club". JKs just aren't minivans.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

The economy. a jeep is a luxury, there are smaller cheaper more efficient cars out there and if money is tight those make a better choice
Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

The think the answer is all over the board. One reason I think that hasn’t been mentioned yet is today’s economy.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtjk
The economy. a jeep is a luxury, there are smaller cheaper more efficient cars out there and if money is tight those make a better choice
This would be my thoughts as well.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

I agree, but by the time you waste 5k on tires and lift, how can selling make a better financial position for you? My guess, it that they look cool, but for a daily driver they are not the luxury that most like or are used to. Harder ride, noise, unrefined interior, MPG.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would say a bad economy,when people lose their jobs or get jobs paying less they usually start selling their toys for money.
It sucks
Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

multiple factors, economy & peoples that incorrectly identified there need where already explained. I also want to add 3 yrs location return. Also some garage owner out there know what a JK is and also know it will sell better if it come with bigger tires and lift.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

as a Jeep newby myself...I think Kalamari said it perfectly....alot of people can't handle all the things they have to put up with...its definately different and I love it....

Quick Reply: Why are so many new modded Jeeps for sale?