Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why so many fake Rubicons?

Old 12-18-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so many fake Rubicons?

I was looking around at 4 different Rubicons in the factory outlet parking lot yesterday. I just wanted to glance below to see how the Rubicon electric disco looked but every one had the standard swaybar links. Do people change out the electric discos? One Jeep was a limited and it was 2 wheel drive!?!? I didn't know Wranglers came in 2 wheel drive. Are fake Rubicons that common?
Old 12-18-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what you mean by "factory oulet" parking lot? You were at the Chrysler factory that produces Jeeps? Or a dealer lot?

Wranglers do come in 2wd but as far as I know, not Rubicons. The only way I know of that Jeeps without electric discos would have a Rubicon decal on them is if a car sales place was doing it to spoof people. I do not think that Chrysler corporate is sponsering that.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 AM
JnT
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he means a factory outlet shopping store...akin to saying in the mall parking lot.

Perhaps there's just lots of people that like the word Rubicon on their Jeep? Just like any other sticker people put on. they think it looks good, so they do it and if they like and it makes them feel better I say knock yourself out.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The links aren't what disconnects, the center of the sway bar is splined and disconnects there. You can't tell by looking at the links.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Yep the Rubicon disconnect is below the grill behind the bumper. The links stay connected to the axel.
But with regards to fake Rubicons its always funny to be in an off road group and have the spotter yell to the driver of a Rubicon to turn on there lockers and they yell back. " But I don't have lockers."
Its one thing to sticker up a mall crawler but stickers wont help you off road.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

My favorite is to see a Jeep with the Rubi sticker on the hood along with a Sahara sticker and painted fenders....People can dream cant they?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Fake rubi stickers are common, my 2008 x had rubi stickers when I bought it. To me it's pretty dumb but I guess to each their own, I know I took mine off as soon as I got a chance haha
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by arcoleman
My favorite is to see a Jeep with the Rubi sticker on the hood along with a Sahara sticker and painted fenders....People can dream cant they?
Yup. See those all the time! I love their faces when I pull up in my Rubi, doors off and muddy! Haha
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I was looking in the wrong place then. I was looking at the swaybar links and they looked just like my X? So maybe they were Rubicons? No big deal to me either way, just trying to figure out if it was common or if I was missing something. I was starting to wonder if I was the only X in town.

Except the Limited. It was on custom 17 or 18 wheels with what must have been 35's that had maybe 2 inches from contacting the fenders. It was 2 wheel drive.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

When I was younger and building street machines, dad always made sure that what I installed was real and served a purpose. He told me that often people will install things that are not real, but look very impressive to people that don't know any better. Dad told me that "Phony people have phony things."

Quick Reply: Why so many fake Rubicons?