Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

why remove folded down soft top

Old 09-08-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why remove folded down soft top

i have seen recommendations that say you should remove your folded down soft top completely if you don't plan on using it for an extended period of time. Why is this recommended? It seems that "folded is folded", what difference should it make if it is folded and in your Jeep or folded and stored in your garage?
Old 09-08-2007, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the inside of the top is not as tough as the outside. when folded down the whole top is exposed to the sun, rain, dirt and mud. I look at it like if I take the top off for half the year it wil last twice as long. More money to spend on other stuff.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by easttnruby
the inside of the top is not as tough as the outside. when folded down the whole top is exposed to the sun, rain, dirt and mud. I look at it like if I take the top off for half the year it wil last twice as long. More money to spend on other stuff.
Wouldn't using the cover for the folded down top solve this issue without requiring you to remove the top completely?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

I opted to stop using the top using the boot when my old one on my YJ became a home for wasps home while on vacation. Talk about a surprise! plus its only two screws on each side, takes about five minutes to do. And if you are using a deck cover you have to take it off anyway.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

I cant say how the two door pans out , but my 4 door top is getting a small rough spot on the outside. It looks like the cross memeber for the front is rubbing onthe top material. removing the top all together would eliminate the parts vabrating against each other. And as was said above the interior of mine is two tone. The sun has bleached the outer most fold already. With all of that said- I still love the soft top. The weather is so fickle around here that I would lose a lot of top down days. It's the jeep feature I use most.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
I cant say how the two door pans out , but my 4 door top is getting a small rough spot on the outside. It looks like the cross memeber for the front is rubbing onthe top material. removing the top all together would eliminate the parts vabrating against each other. And as was said above the interior of mine is two tone. The sun has bleached the outer most fold already. With all of that said- I still love the soft top. The weather is so fickle around here that I would lose a lot of top down days. It's the jeep feature I use most.
The weather can be somewhat fickle here too. I guess I was trying to convince myself not to take the soft top off completely so that I can go back and forth relatively quickly from top up to top down due to the changing weather. This is why I was trying to get a feel for why it is recommended to take the soft top off when not used for an extended period of time (whatever that is). Here in the Bay Area, where we really don't have a winter, I would prefer to leave the soft top on year round in an up or down position depending on the weather.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

My soft top is at this (pic below) position for the past 3~4 months. I only put the top back on for total of maybe 5 days during that time. I just use the bikini top for the light rain. A couple of days ago, I thought I better check the soft top since the fall-winter is coming soon. So, I put the top back on just to see everything is okay. The soft top was fine. No damage whatsoever. I needed to leave the top un-folded for 20~30 minutes in order to close the latch though... needed to stretch a bit (I did it at night, and it was chilly out - probably around mid 50's F).

I use the soft top boot (cover) all the time, and the top stayed pretty clean (even though I've been to several very dusty trails). Of course, I needed to wipe some dust off but found no fade, stains, spots, cracks, tear or any other visible damage. I'm glad I got the boot. The soft top boot definitely protects from UV, rain, mud etc. I should note that I also use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

On the other hand, the soft top boot is kind of worn out. Go a few unknown spots etc. Maybe I need to get a new one next year.

Last edited by moun10eer; 09-11-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove the top completly, and store it inside.
Getting rid of it allows for more room, and we can install the duster, to protect the rear deck area, as well as hide whatever's back there.

Quick Reply: why remove folded down soft top