Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why are people saying that a soft top is difficult to put up and take down?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're the one who asked to try putting up the top in 15c weather. I think we're confused here and I could be wrong, but judging by the caps in your post I seemed to have ruffled some feathers. If so, I apologize as that was not my intent.

If anyone's struggling with their softy, use the sequence in my earlier post on this thread and I assure you it'll be much easier.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more you do it the easier it gets.

My first time was 30 minutes and a whole string of GDMFSOB's.

Now up or down, taking the windows out or putting them in, 5 to 10 minutes max.

Practice make perfect. And stretched canvas make it easy.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
You must be joking. The top of my rig is over 7 feet tall... you don't always have something to stand on and that doesn't even make it much easier when you are by yourself.

You have to raise and lower it from the inside... it is awkward but I have it down to about 15mins which includes 5mins of just cussing the thing.

Hehe... I'm going to guess you aren't 6'6" tall?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
You must be joking. The top of my rig is over 7 feet tall... you don't always have something to stand on and that doesn't even make it much easier when you are by yourself.

You have to raise and lower it from the inside... it is awkward but I have it down to about 15mins which includes 5mins of just cussing the thing.

What do you do, stand on the seat?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

With a big lift I've found the best way is to undo the latches, then undo all the side rails, undo the rails on the tub.

Then stand on the side steps of the jeep and flip it open to sunrider position. I then get in the jeep's backseat and do the pleats properly (can't seem to get it to lay properly standing on one side). Attach the velcro straps to the rails and then release the latches on both sides, taking the rails out of the tracks, to ensure that they don't pop back in.

From there I slide the top back far enough so that I can get out of the Jeep and do the rest from the outside.

What takes me the longest is tucking it in properly to the tub. Heck I still may be doing that part wrong, since I haven't seen many pics of the material folded inside the tub and it just looks a bit sloppy to me.

Either way it's under 10 mins well spent when the weather is as great as it has been lately. I never really thought I'd want a soft top, but it was money well spent. Although I did get some funny tan lines the other day I spent driving around most of the day. lol
Old 09-04-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

What I can't figure out is setting the damn radio stations and the time. For some reason I could do it when I first got it, but now don't know what the hell I did!! Anyone figure out this one? Anyone figure out how to set the stations and the time on the radio? I have the standard cd player with the aux.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartan99
Takes me less than 5 minutes! Here's how to do it:

Up:

1) Make sure cross bar is in forward position and pull up the top so the cross sits across the top where it eventually latches
2) Latch the cross bar
3) Latch the latches by the visor
4) Tuck in the front of the side windows so that it fits properly. If you don't do it now it won't work w/o a struggle.
4) Tuck in the soft top starting at the front of the front doors
5) Tuck in the rear, at the tailgate, last. Stand on the bumper and bare weight on the soft top frame. Use one hand to tuck it in.

Down:

1) Unlatch the latches at the visor
2) Untuck the top by the tailgate. Now the top is loose and easy to deal with.
3) Unlatch the crossbar
4) Untuck the rest of the top
5) When folding it down, make sure it the cross bar remains forward so that it's easy to put up.

How is this hard? It goes up or down in less than 5 minutes with minimal effort.
I agree with you...but why the hell are you standing on your bumper to put the sail panels on?? just grab em and stick em on...if standing at the back of the jeep on the drivers side..with your left hand, starting with the left side just roll out the plastic stick it in starting on the left side and just roll it in...no climbing on the bumper...or putting weight on the bow
Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll have to try that, Trick50.

As for the radio I succumbed to defeatism and read the manual... Oh well at least I have my radio in order.

Quick Reply: Why are people saying that a soft top is difficult to put up and take down?