Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why no V8 in a Wrangler? (answer from media)

Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly the bottom line here is "Theres no replacement for displacement" I went from drivng a 2 door Chevy Tahoe (late model K5 blazer) with the lazy l31 vortec 350, to a 6.0 vortec powered Chevy 2500HD, to the 3.8 JK in a matter of 7 months. The JK tips the scales at just about the same as my tahoe, which isnt light at all, and even though the l31 wasnt the most powerful thing in the world, with 250hp and 330ft/lb, and was completely antiquated, and was running through 3.42 gears it was a great engine that suited the tahoe on 33's. The first time I went cruising the beach in the JK I was so dissappointed and pissed at the JK's performance having to rev at over 3000 rpm while in 4lo to "cruise" through the soft stuff, I initially thought I had made the biggest mistake buying it. The JK has the weight of a half ton truck with out the power to back it up, add armor, big meats, and trail/camping gear and these pigs can tip the scales equal to or even heavier than my 3/4 ton HD, sorry no V6 in the world is going to hold up to that. However this leads me to believe that the JK would be a perfect match for 5.3l vortec, I've test driven a 3.6 and yes theres some power there, but its still a high revving peaky engine, and that annoys the hell out of me. Chrysler needs to cut the BS and have a V8 as an option already, at the very least the CRD.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I personally feel Chrysler/Fiat doesn't do and won't do a V8 in a Wrangler as it would take away sales from the Grand Cherokee.

I don't believe for a second that there is a whole lot of engineering that would have to go into making a JK (Unlimited at least) ready for a V8.

I say have the V8 an option for a JK Unlimited. I would have purchased this upgrade for up to an additional $2,500.00. I guarantee it would sell on almost EVERY JK Unlimited.

Can't say for a fact, but gas mileage should not suffer, if anything, it should go up as you'll have an engine more able to over come gravity to get this Pig moving from a stop. Once moving, MDS shuts off a few cylinders, and mileage should go up a bit still.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not too sure this has been mentioned.
CAFE standards and emissions too....
Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rancho
Not too sure this has been mentioned.
CAFE standards and emissions too....
Oh it has been mentioned plenty of times, people just don't wan't to accept it...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RGV08JK
Honestly the bottom line here is "Theres no replacement for displacement" I went from drivng a 2 door Chevy Tahoe (late model K5 blazer) with the lazy l31 vortec 350, to a 6.0 vortec powered Chevy 2500HD, to the 3.8 JK in a matter of 7 months. The JK tips the scales at just about the same as my tahoe, which isnt light at all, and even though the l31 wasnt the most powerful thing in the world, with 250hp and 330ft/lb, and was completely antiquated, and was running through 3.42 gears it was a great engine that suited the tahoe on 33's. The first time I went cruising the beach in the JK I was so dissappointed and pissed at the JK's performance having to rev at over 3000 rpm while in 4lo to "cruise" through the soft stuff, I initially thought I had made the biggest mistake buying it. The JK has the weight of a half ton truck with out the power to back it up, add armor, big meats, and trail/camping gear and these pigs can tip the scales equal to or even heavier than my 3/4 ton HD, sorry no V6 in the world is going to hold up to that. However this leads me to believe that the JK would be a perfect match for 5.3l vortec, I've test driven a 3.6 and yes theres some power there, but its still a high revving peaky engine, and that annoys the hell out of me. Chrysler needs to cut the BS and have a V8 as an option already, at the very least the CRD.
I agree. I have found I can idle through a lot of stuff in 4-hi with a V-8 that would have forced the V-6 to 4-lo. Especially sand and deep snow. It would take a deisel to do it any better.

My wifes 2012 Grand Cherokee has the same motor/tranny combo as the new JK I think, and it is better than the old for sure. But I would not swap out the V-8 for it.

It sure seems like Jeep would be selling V-8 Wranglers if there were not compelling market, safety, CAFE, etc reasons not to.

Heck, they won't even sell us the CRD in this country and I have to believe they would want to!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RGV08JK
Honestly the bottom line here is "Theres no replacement for displacement" Chrysler needs to cut the BS and have a V8 as an option already, at the very least the CRD.
Originally Posted by CerOf
I personally feel Chrysler/Fiat doesn't do and won't do a V8 in a Wrangler as it would take away sales from the Grand Cherokee.

I don't believe for a second that there is a whole lot of engineering that would have to go into making a JK (Unlimited at least) ready for a V8.

I say have the V8 an option for a JK Unlimited. I would have purchased this upgrade for up to an additional $2,500.00. I guarantee it would sell on almost EVERY JK Unlimited.

Can't say for a fact, but gas mileage should not suffer, if anything, it should go up as you'll have an engine more able to over come gravity to get this Pig moving from a stop. Once moving, MDS shuts off a few cylinders, and mileage should go up a bit still.
^Agreed!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by goaterguy
Oh it has been mentioned plenty of times, people just don't wan't to accept it...
I hate CAFE... now coffee on the other hand... yummmmmm. lol
Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The story we're told is that the V-8 won't pass crash tests due to the longer motor. It makes sense if you understand the size difference of a Hemi. A major redesign would be necessary.

As for the diesel, the gov't doesn't seem to be a big fan. Apparently they're not making it easy to get Diesels in widespread light duty use. Why a GC can have them but not a Jk is a mystery.

On a side note, I've wheeled with a couple of guys that have Diesels. NOT a big fan. The 2 issues I had where wheelspeed, or lack of it, and STINK. Any place that wheel speed was needed the Diesel was pretty bad. Both rigs my buddies have manual transmissions. The Diesel torque band is much narrower and cleaning tires of mud or snow wasn't easy. I have another friend with a twin turbo 4BT is a flatfender. Wheelspeed is NOT an issue.

The stinky part I can't get over. I have a Diesel tow pig and I rarely ever smell the exhaust. In the open air in the fresh smelling woods....the Diesel rigs always bring up the rear as no one wants to be behind them.

Quick Reply: Why no V8 in a Wrangler? (answer from media)