Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why No Hemi JKs????

Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just trying to clarify the poster above's question.

I can only dream of a HEMI. and yes I am smiling in my dreams. I will be first in line the day Jeep starts taking orders for the 5.7 though. I promise.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortbuss
And it comes with an Auto! I think I would rather have the mini van motor with a 6spd.
can't say it better myself
Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They've been making 6 speed HEMI conversions for a long time now. I promise I would never consider an automagic. That's probably what Jeep would do though to spite me. Here's your HEMI but it's auto only.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Saltman, it was eDiveBuddy that has a Hemi. Soooooo eDiveBuddy! Do you smile all the time when driving your Hemi JK?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Well for those of you that are looking for a hemi, i hope you get it. I have no complaints with the 3.8 but my first choice remains a small diesel and a 6 speed. If i want a hemi i'll get a challenger
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by porters
Do you smile all the time when driving your Hemi JK?
I smile just looking at her.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah, we have the JKs with the 2.8L CRD Diesels out here in Australia (apparantly the motor doesn't pass the strict US emmisions standards so it's for export vehicles only); problem is the engine's so torquey that they only offer it in the JK as a de-tuned version (from a torque output of 460nm down to 400) as it was chewing up the clutches on the manual trannys. Apparantly they plan in this year's models to re-tune it back to the higher output but offer it with the auto trans only, which kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion; the 2-door, CRD 6-speed is an awesome little offroader.

Unless they upgrade most of the JK's drivetrain components they'd probably have to do a major de-dune on the Hemi too I'd say.

Last edited by JKlad; 01-19-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TonyT
This situation is just like the expressed opinion of the Porsche Cayman and Boxter enthusiasts wanting more power in their models as factory options. Porsche obviously sandbags these cars so they don't embarrass their precious flagship - The 911. It's actually a very interesting situation and much more serious than our want for the Hemi. In short, these supposed "entry level" cars could cross the margins from base model to high performance and easily destroy the 911 market.

Two things, those that don't go for the Hemi will probably face a higher price because of uplifts of the manufacturing plant and certain parts and platform upgrades will be required across all factory trims. Also, just like you can only buy the Hemi in other models only with "Limited" trim, you would probably have to spring for a loaded Rubicon with D60s and so on.
You are right, cannibalizing sales from other models within the brand is always a consideration for these guys. The HEMI would require a complete driveline upgrade, but I seem to recall that the average price uplift was around 20% of sticker for HEMI equipped vehicles.

If you do the swap it is closer to 60%. That makes a lot of us think twice.
Even if you can afford it, IMO it is not a good value.

Whatever happened to the old school slogan "The customer is always right."?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spinlock
Whatever happened to the old school slogan "The customer is always right."?
That's the problem now days. . . . nobody listens to the little guy. Not the businesses, not the politicians.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

A V6 with balls would be fine with me...or the 4.7L...or a Hemi...

Quick Reply: Why No Hemi JKs????