Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why No Hemi JKs????

Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Hummer deal is approved by the Chinese Government there will be H3s a plenty . . . Not that i'd buy one!

Quote all the Cafe stuff and it just dosent add up why Cherokee gets a Hemi and Wrangler dosent.

Am I the only one on the planet that wants a Jk or Diesel Wrangler?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porters
If the Hummer deal is approved by the Chinese Government there will be H3s a plenty . . . Not that i'd buy one!

Quote all the Cafe stuff and it just dosent add up why Cherokee gets a Hemi and Wrangler dosent.

Am I the only one on the planet that wants a Jk or Diesel Wrangler?
I'd love a diesel wrangler, tons of torque, better gas mileage, and the engines last forever.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kkuntz01
I think the more obvious reasons why they will never put a Hemi into the Wrangler is the strict government fuel economy standards here in the US. With the averages they need to meet in the next few years they're going to be VERY hard pressed to meet it much less exceed it with what they currently have, what they're planning to have much less what many dream was there. I'm sure there are multitude other reasons like the effects of frontal crash impacts and such.
I agree the rising CAFE standards coupled with tightening emissions standards are probably the demise of any possibility of putting a HEMI in the Wrangler.

Chrysler has proven that they can boost sales of a vehicle by introducing a HEMI powered version. The select rates rises to above 40% when this optionis available.
But JK sales already exceed expectations and are still growing even with a marginal engine that will soon be replaced with the flagship Pentastar V6.

Engineering has already demonstrated that the HEMI is a viable option in the Lower Forty concept vehicle and in colllaboration with AEV which has factory ties.
However, this not Engineering decision. These types of decisions are made by Product Marketing the supposed liason between Engineering, Finance and customers.

An optional diesel engine is probably more likely, but if I wanted a more capable off road vehicle at any cost, I would buy a John Deere.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
These types of decisions are made by Product Marketing the supposed liason between Engineering, Finance and customers.
This situation is just like the expressed opinion of the Porsche Cayman and Boxter enthusiasts wanting more power in their models as factory options. Porsche obviously sandbags these cars so they don't embarrass their precious flagship - The 911. It's actually a very interesting situation and much more serious than our want for the Hemi. In short, these supposed "entry level" cars could cross the margins from base model to high performance and easily destroy the 911 market.

Two things, those that don't go for the Hemi will probably face a higher price because of uplifts of the manufacturing plant and certain parts and platform upgrades will be required across all factory trims. Also, just like you can only buy the Hemi in other models only with "Limited" trim, you would probably have to spring for a loaded Rubicon with D60s and so on.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

We can officially blame the Chrysler Product Marketing weasels then.
The same guys that are introducing the Fiat Panda under the Jeep label.

All I got to say to the Weasels is, if you build it, I will come and buy one. If you don't, then have fun with the Panda.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kkuntz01
I think the more obvious reasons why they will never put a Hemi into the Wrangler is the strict government fuel economy standards here in the US.
Umm my mileage went UP when I dropped the Hemi in. Not a lot but I do get better gas mileage. Still not as good as stock though.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
Umm my mileage went UP when I dropped the Hemi in. Not a lot but I do get better gas mileage. Still not as good as stock though.
how can the milage get better but still not as good as stock. is it better or not
Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spinlock
But JK sales already exceed expectations and are still growing even with a marginal engine that will soon be replaced with the flagship Pentastar V6.
Though I WELCOME any engine change from the POS 3.8, flagship and pentastar are kind of funny in the same sentence. It will be a joke too. The new 3.7 Ford V6 engine even has more impressive numbers in every single category. hp/torque/mpg. 305hp/280ft/lb @ 4250rpm/30mpg.

Bring the HEMI please.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
how can the milage get better but still not as good as stock. is it better or not
after other mods..... the hemi was better than the 3.8 with mods. not as good as stock/no mods though.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
after other mods..... the hemi was better than the 3.8 with mods. not as good as stock/no mods though.
Hey Saltman! Every time you drive that Hemi JK you smile the whole time don't you!

Quick Reply: Why No Hemi JKs????