Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

why no diesel jeeps in the states?

Old 07-10-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why no diesel jeeps in the states?

i realy want a diesel JK...but does anyone know why they arnt sold in the states? and why only over seas?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Pollution standards for the class of vehicle. But that is changing. VW has started selling the TDI again.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Pollution standards for the class of vehicle. But that is changing. VW has started selling the TDI again.
x2 The Diesel JK won't meet emissions standards. I hate to say it but we won't see a diesel JK in the U.S. any time soon. Th 2.8CDI in its current form will probably never meet U.S. emissions standars. Maybe this will be one of the few good things we can get from Fiat?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Some of the german vehicles have diesels now. The BMW had to jump through tons of hoops to get theirs to be able to sell in the US. The "average" car is probably a few years away, easily.
Most of the German vehicles have multiple diesel options in Europe (Mercedes has over 30!). Most are also produced "in-house" by those manufactueres giving them decades more experience and parts than us. The JK is at least 5-8 years away from a U.S. diesel. The only options for getting a Deisel JK in the next 2-3 years would be if Fiat shares one or Chrysfiat buys one from another comapany (al la mercedes anyone?)
Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

I'll bet the only advantage they have across the pond is they have less restrictive pollution standards.
I've seen many US made vehicles over there with diesels in them.
One, for example, was a Dodge Caravan that got 40mpg, loaded with sight-seeing GI's. That was about 10 years ago.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
x2 The Diesel JK won't meet emissions standards. I hate to say it but we won't see a diesel JK in the U.S. any time soon. Th 2.8CDI in its current form will probably never meet U.S. emissions standars. Maybe this will be one of the few good things we can get from Fiat?
I've never understood this... They have sold a 2.8L CRD diesel liberty in the states so they mustve found a way to make it work with emission standards. Why not throw it in the JK?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

AEV is now offering the Milspec J8 as a rolling chassis. Then they will drop any powertrain in it for you which includes the 2.8L Diesel. So if that is an option then they can drop one in your JK i'm sure. That is if you want to pay the price.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by NGINIER
I've never understood this... They have sold a 2.8L CRD diesel liberty in the states so they mustve found a way to make it work with emission standards. Why not throw it in the JK?
At the time, the standards were such that it would pass.
And don't forget, for decades the American consumer has scorned diesels in cars because of what happened in the '70s when GM tried passing off a converted gas engine as a diesel. And small diesels were loud, smokey, and started hard in the winter. All this lead to reluctance to pursue the market.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by yellow08rubicon
AEV is now offering the Milspec J8 as a rolling chassis. Then they will drop any powertrain in it for you which includes the 2.8L Diesel. So if that is an option then they can drop one in your JK i'm sure. That is if you want to pay the price.
I suspect it will not be road legal.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

The 2.8L that the libery used even at that time was not 50 state emission legal.

Same deal when the 3.0L came out in the WK, not 50 state legal until 2009. Which BTW the 2007 is the best year for them, less emissions crap on them

Quick Reply: why no diesel jeeps in the states?