Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why no CRD in the USA ?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Yes the CRD was offered...but not anymore with the stricter diesel emissions...Thus you don't see any new VW TDI's on the market. Dodge (Cummins-6.7L) & Ford Powerstroke (6.4L) redesigned the motors and had to add on more Litter boxes to there Diesels to meet the stricter emission standards & run on Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel without lubricant additives.
You can buy new VW TDI's again. The VW diesel was off the market for a couple years, but is now back with more power and fewer mpg's.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's true, the diesel may not make emission standards in the US, but the ability to travel long distances without having to refill and the torque makes it the ideal vehicle on an overland trip.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tgrt
I'm only guessing, because I don't know anything about your requirements, but many states have their own requirements
I think you hit the answer right here. The diesel Libby's were not offered for sale in NY, CA, MA, and I believe one other state because they would not meet the emission standards for those states, it had nothing to do with the EPA standard.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
MD5
JK Newbie

Thanks all for the information, now I know more. I was initially surprised about the failed emission requirement of the 2.8 CRD because I rate it very clean, no smoke of any kind even when started in cold weather, almost odorless and near instant pre-heating/start. It run and feel much like a gasoline engine than a Diesel, the only practical difference for me that I always own gasoline engine in the past is the different noise and great torque / power available at low rpm, most of the time the engine will run below 2000 rpm.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well its like this Fiat has build 2 diesel engines to meet the USA Cafe/EPA standards, if you want them to rush one into your future wrangler just go to http://www.chryslerllc.com/en/ that Chrysler/Fiat Corp HQ and just tell them
Old 05-25-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by backwoodjk
You can buy new VW TDI's again. The VW diesel was off the market for a couple years, but is now back with more power and fewer mpg's.
they had to change it quite a bit to meet the US standard, particulate matter aka soot is the problem

there's somewhat good news though, europeans like diesels, and the european PM standards are being brought up to the US levels by the end of 2010, so once all those euro cars are up to spec there, they are also good to go in the US

bmw has the 335d now too, that meets the new standards

Quick Reply: Why no CRD in the USA ?