Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why no CRD in the USA ?

Old 05-24-2009, 05:14 AM
MD5
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no CRD in the USA ?

I tried to search but cannot find the answer.

Why the 2.8 CRD (Diesel engine) is not available in the USA ?
If and when it become available, it will be preferred/popular Vs. the gasoline engine ?

Just curious...
Old 05-24-2009, 05:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Emissions. The current design doesn't meet the requirements. It could be made to meet the requirements, but that would add to the over all cost; and apparently the demand isn't there.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:15 AM
MD5
JK Newbie

I'm surprised I tough our "Euro x" emission requirement was much strict than yours.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgrt
Emissions. The current design doesn't meet the requirements. It could be made to meet the requirements, but that would add to the over all cost; and apparently the demand isn't there.
Huh?

Don't they offer the CRD in the USA in the Liberty??
Old 05-24-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by guruman
Huh?

Don't they offer the CRD in the USA in the Liberty??
Yes the CRD was offered...but not anymore with the stricter diesel emissions...Thus you don't see any new VW TDI's on the market. Dodge (Cummins-6.7L) & Ford Powerstroke (6.4L) redesigned the motors and had to add on more Litter boxes to there Diesels to meet the stricter emission standards & run on Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel without lubricant additives.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

I wouldnt want one of the knocking noisy smelling things. I like my gas engine.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tgrt

X2. And really it's just the regulations of a couple states that hang things up (like California and New Jersey). I also agree that there is still a negative stigma in the American car buyer against diesel as well that makes it a niche product from the get go.

This is why we saw it for a couple years in the Liberty, and then it went away (stricter emissions standards for 2007).
Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MD5
I'm surprised I tough our "Euro x" emission requirement was much strict than yours.
Well, I think there are variables as to what emissions are regulated, in the USA it is particulate matter that hammers the diesel. I think engine size issues (taxation on engine size) and fuel prices in Europe make diesel much more attractive. Here in the USA a big V8 isn't an issue size-wise (and in fact is a cultural icon).
Old 05-24-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob4607
whoever really believes that we are not able to get the crd due to US epa regulations need to read up on some of the european cars as well as their fuel standards are way higher than ours. funny how you see so many mercedes benzs running around with the CRD (hello) here in the us, no one has brought the Us govt and the unions into this so I will, to keep engine prices down they have to produce a certain # of them per year, if they go over the target that usually turns into a bonus and some kick back discounts, if they don't order enough they are penalized and have to pay them, same goes for the union contracts, guys will work for such and such wage and are expected to work on set # of engines. whoever believes that a diesel can't easily have better emmisions than a regular gasoline vehicle needs to catch up. all it boils down to is production sales #'s, they get a test group of jeepers in a think tak and ask them what things a jeep needs and what to change, they ask them if a turbo diesel would be a good idea and the retard comes out of them and says turbos aren't good for offroading due to having to spool up the turbo to get the power out and not a good idea, now if you had someone that knew anything about turbos and the different vein setups you van do to where power is increased at way lower rpm and not high rpm like a race car and let them try it they would nut all overthemselves. but you also have to think this is a company that thinks that its not profitable to sell complete half door kits at the time of purchase or through the parts counter.
I have to disagree, I have lived in Europe for a total of 6 years and there is a very common misconception. The European version of our EPA standards for gasoline engines are comparable, but not quite as strict (think california here, 50 state legal after all). As for the Diesel well thats anothor thing. True there are a few diesels that have made it over to the US, but the vast majority wouldnt be able to meet emmisions. Think of glorious Mercedes as you mentioned, they have had a grand total of 2 diesel engines in the US over the last few years.......out of the 33 oil burner versions in their lineup.......They just wont cut the emissions butter here.......now I am not gonna argue reliability or economy, they have us beat hands down.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MD5
I'm only guessing, because I don't know anything about your requirements, but many states have their own requirements so I think they ran the numbers and determined it would be cost prohibitive to meet all the different rules. There's just not the demand here for the diesel.

Emissions are complex and you have to emit something. Emit less of this and you increase that. Complex problems mean expensive solutions. And that is exacerbated when you don't have a common standard.

Quick Reply: Why no CRD in the USA ?