Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why OR-FAB Rocks

Old 06-25-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why OR-FAB Rocks

I bought the OR-FAB gas can/tire carrier a couple months ago and put it on (which is a PITA, but, I digress) and have been very happy with it. A couple weeks ago, we were off-roading and I sheared off a valve stem on a rock, no biggie, I just changed the tire. An hour or two later, I poke a hole on the spare I had put on, so, now I have two flats. OK, no sweat, I'll put some air in it until we get back to "camp" (thank God for on board air). After we got back and looked at it, I decided to go to the local VIP Auto Center to have the valve stems swapped over (as an aside, VIP sucks donkey d*nks - I hate them, all of them). After convincing them they could do it, and that the TPMS did not need their $30 "reset", I went out to bring in the wheels, and I could not get the spare off! I had just put it on the rack a couple hours ago by hand, and now I could not turn the T-handle. I even put the handle to my Hi-Lift onto it, and could not move it very much - it felt like it was cross threaded, but there was no way I could have done it by hand. So, I left, traveling home 2+hours stopping every 15 minutes to air up the flat (I do carry a plug kit, but opted to not use it in case I made the hole worse).

When I got home, I tried to remove the handle again, only to bend the handle itself. I eventually cut it off to get the wheel off, and used a torch to heat up the socket to get the threaded rod out. The threaded rod was broken off inside!

Well, ORF sent me a new rack for free, and I'll be shipping the ruined one back. I was not happy with potentially being stranded by my equipment, but it all turned out well. I want to thank ORF for sending the new one out right away and being professional about it.

Oh, and if you are thinking of getting this rack, do it. You'll not regret it.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would have had serious heart failure if that happened to me. ORF rock though there customer support and response is best in it's class. i have that carrier and I LOVE IT. also have the rear bumper with the bottle openers in it love that too. they rock
Old 06-25-2009, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Completely agree. Or-Fab customer serivce is excellent--I had a part missing from the kit and they overnighted it, after THEY CONTACTED ME ON A WEEKEND from a post I made here.

The tire carrier is sweet. I love it--prolly my favorite piece of kit on the Jeep so far.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sold. I have wanted this thing a while, but now it just moved up the list. Strange how sometimes you have to see something fail to know you want it. Every company has things happen, how they deal with those issues is what gets my business.

I didn't know that or-fab was a sponsor? What is their S/N?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I am sold. I have wanted this thing a while, but now it just moved up the list. Strange how sometimes you have to see something fail to know you want it. Every company has things happen, how they deal with those issues is what gets my business.

I didn't know that or-fab was a sponsor? What is their S/N?
"Trail master" and "YHudson". Don't know if there are others. QUICK responses from both. Sent a pm at 9 am and got the response before noon same day.

Seem like great guys!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by zoomzoomjr
"Trail master" and "YHudson". Don't know if there are others. QUICK responses from both. Sent a pm at 9 am and got the response before noon same day.

Seem like great guys!
Sorry, I forgot to mention "serveapurpose".
Old 06-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

I've got plans on getting this rack as well.
Not really looking forward to the install but I like the overall product and gots to have it.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jsr
I've got plans on getting this rack as well.
Not really looking forward to the install but I like the overall product and gots to have it.
I KNOW what you mean.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

I've heard that rack rattles like crazy.. any problems from those that have em?
Old 06-27-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

I love mine. No Rattle what so ever. the install is very well written. easy to follow but does take some time. If the latch block is installed as instructed it works great. I have seen where others have modified the block install and had issues. follow the instructions, take your time and it will be a great payoff.

Quick Reply: Why OR-FAB Rocks