Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why dont 4 doors wave!?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 4 dr. and wave. I find that "others" don't wave back because I have a 4 dr.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

I wave all the time and just about all of the 4 door drivers I pass wave too.
It is TJ owners that usually ignore me.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Detn8RYellow
Its about Tradition !!!! and Tradition being lost !
I do under about traditions and keeping them alive. I myself was in the Marine Corps in the ‘80’s, and I know what it means to be part of something important and the desire to respect that experience. Some people buy their Wrangler with the intention of making it something more than transportation, it’s a hobby. For others, and I’d say the majority it’s not a hobby it’s simply a vehicle. They didn’t choose to enlist in some club with certain rules and protocols.

My Wife's Say's to me all the time " Why bother, they don't do that anymore!"
She may be right!! & you may be right "Being self absorbed is more important"
So I guess I will get my old ass updated with technology and put blinders on
The technologies that are so prevalent in our society certainly make things convenient but they also have their drawbacks, including how rude and self absorbed people have become. I would love to see those people put down the damn cell phone and pay attention to what they are doing and what’s around them. Something tells me that isn’t going to happen. Neither of us has to like it, but there isn’t much you can do about it either.

See all of you at the next thread about "The Jeep Wave"
I’m sure there will be plenty more, right along side another discussion of how the Rubicon is a waste of money and inferior to the X.

Part of why I find the subject so annoying is that I think most of these are started by folks simply looking to take a jab at either JKs in general or just the 4-door. They are just looking to bust chops. Of course I can choose to ignore the threads but figuring the intention of the thread I just take the opportunity to take a few jabs myself. I love how indignant some folks get when I tell them I don’t wave and I don’t give a crap about the “Jeep Wave”.

Whether I wave to another Jeep or they return my wave has no impact on me or my Jeep. I will head for the hills and have just as much fun whether that cell-phone-jackass waved or not.

Beel the Non-Waver
Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element
I know I'm going to get flamed for this. I own a boat and have been boating for over 15 years. There's such a thing as a boat wave. When two boats pass each other, they wave. It's almost automatic and instinctual. You're out on the water. There's no traffic (relatively). There's birds flying around and the sun is shining. You're going out to or coming home from fishing, water skiing, tubing, pleasure cruising, island exploring, diving, snorkeling, whatever. You are out away from the masses and have effectively left alot of lifes stresses behind. You've escaped and so has the guy/girl in that boat you're waving to. You understand each other. Sailboats, jon boats, center consoles, tug boats, kayaks, speed boats, shrimp boats, ten feet or forty feet. Evryone gets it. Everyone waves. It's as it should be. We're on the water. We're free.

Now I can relate some of this to owning a Jeep as well. I happen to be one of the wavers. I can definitely understand it if you pass each other on a trail or on the beach. In these cases, you've both gotten out and away and escaped the rest of the crowds. You "get" each other. A wave is in order.

Having said that, I just don't see where any of this applies when you're in lane one of a six lane highway and someone over in lane six, heading the opposite way in 75 mph highway traffic on his way to work throws his hand out and waves. I guess what I'm trying to say is people drive there Jeeps to work or to run errands or to the hospital or to the inlaws house for a cookout when they'd rather be trail riding or surfing or boating, etc... and just not in a mindset that facilitates a wave to someone just because they're driving the same vehicle as you.

I'm ALL FOR the wave, just saying I can totally understand why not everyone waves back and it doesn't bother me if they don't.
I think this is a great response, for two reasons.

First I think that’s an important point that many people miss, not everyone is spending their time rubber-necking looking for other Jeeps so they can show them their palm. Some people are actually trying to pay attention to the road and the traffic around them. Of course they could also be a cell-phone-jackass but in either case, maybe they simply didn’t see you. They aren’t trying to insult you and your clan, you can relax.

The other thing is that the wave is not unique to Jeeps. Groups that I know of include boaters (as mentioned), motorcycle riders and VW owners. I’m sure there are plenty of others as well. Also, those groups seem for more reliable in their waving. I own a couple of old air cooled VWs and I can be sure to get an acknowledgement from other VW drivers if I’m in my bus or beetle. On the other hand, if I’m driving my Jeep? Forget about it. Maybe the Wrangler doesn’t have quite the sense of community everyone thinks it does?

It’s a Jeep thing? I don’t think so.

Beel
Old 05-26-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

We have a boat, and everyone waves. It would be odd for a boat not to wave. It's nice, like a unspoken peace treaty
Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

I always wave... but I'm finding that a majority of newer 4dr owners don't wave... :(
Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi

I do the Jeep wave always many do not 2 and 4 dr
Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sniper41
We're waving in Jersey- hell even the passengers in Jeeps here wave!!! Or PERHAPS, just perhaps they feel sorry for me?
x2 I have been getting waves all day and night in jersey. getting into the summer almost everyone waves. have even been getting waves across the median on the highway.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 4 door and I'm a waver. Some wave back, some don't, but it won't stop me from trying!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4 door opened the market for a lot of people to buy a Wrangler, a vehicle they normally wouldn't even look at before. Instead of the typical Jeepers, you're getting average people, moms, businessmen, etc... and they might not represent the Jeep life. Would two Chevy Corsica drivers wave at each other?

I'll admit, when I see a Jeep pass me, I'll try to wave... but most of the time I'm focused on keeping my eyes on the road and my hands on the wheel. I'm thinking that's the same for the other driver too because they're never looking at me when they pass.

Quick Reply: Why dont 4 doors wave!?