Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Do you take your modded JK offroad?
MY JK is modded and take it offroad whenever I can.
93.40%
My JK is modded and it's just for show and dont take it offroad.
6.60%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
I am kind of confused....I have seen and read a few posts of people wanting to put suspension lifts and 37's etc and then say that they don't take them offroad.

Why would anyone do that? I understand if you don't want to damage it etc...but then take the money you would have spent on your mods and buy an older Jeep and take that offroad or something. It just seems wrong to spend the money on mods and not take advantage of them.

It's just being mean to your JEEP....it wants to get out and play and you don't let it. UNLEASH IT!

Seems kind of silly to me....but "TO EACH HIS OWN".

THOUGHTS?

I would rather see a Jeep nicely modded and not wheeled than a Escalade with a brush guard on it.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

back to modding jeeps. i use to have a modded street car with over 400 horse and ran 12.3 on street tires in the quarter mile. but after i thought i finished i wanted to spend more and more it got to the point where i wasnt even going to drive it cause i was afraid that was going to break something. This could be the case for alot of people? you spend so much to make it do something and then your afraid to do it cause you dont want anything to break. what can you say modding is such a big thing now adays that people do it just to separate themselves from other people. i did it cause i wanted to be different. I promise my self that i wasnt going to mod my jeep but after thinking about it. i bought mines cause i could mod it to my liking! And im glad i got a jeep cause now im in a totally different lvl! ooh i do plan on taking my jeep wheeling..thats only if the Opportunity comes !

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	131697[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	driveway2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	131695   Click image for larger version

Name:	driveway.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	131696  

Last edited by runnin-low; 02-28-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people who have jeeps are individuals...
folk who don't run with the herd...
unique critters who do not accept mass produced uniformity...
so we mod...we can't help it...it's who we are...

at the moment my JK is pretty stok...
but if i can ever afford it i will mod it up...

i will do it for looks...
as i'm so busy with 3 jobs and a 6 year old i have no time to wheel...
having said that...if i ever do get time i'll be off in the wilds like a shot...

my JK is my D.D. and my new hobby all in one...i love it...
my last hobby was a project too...1988 yamaha v-max...
it's all finished...all modded out...i'll never part with it...
i'll never let my JK go either...they are both part of me...

simple truth...all wrangler owners are unique...all wranglers are cool...PERIOD.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

i know what you guys mean. i have a 3 inch lift and 35s and have never offroaded. i want to offroad but there isnt many places to offroad where i live. once i find a spot i can go to i would definitly want to offroad.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

For me, like others have said before, it's all about the "garage therapy." I love turning a wrench, doing as much of my own modding as I can and just plain tinkering. It gets my mind off work, off family issues, off everything other than the project in front of me.

My Mustangs have both been great projects and both turned out to be multi-show winners (and raced occasionally too). And as much as I love wrenching on 300+ HP muscle cars, I missed working on a Jeep, and I missed having a go-anywhere convertible. So, bought the Rubi and got to modding it right away. Garage therapy.

So does my lifted Rubi go to the mall? Yup. Does it run errands with my little girl in her car seat in the back? Yup (and she smiles the whole time!). Do I wash it regularly? Yup. Did I need a top notch 3" TF lift, 35" KM2s, 5.13s, a 9.5ti (soon to be installed), new bumpers, etc, etc? Maybe, maybe not, but I sure wanted them! And they brought me garage therapy. Will I ever go wheeling? Definitely! Looking forward to my first opportunity. Will I ever go crawling? Doubtful. And when I'm ready to move on to my next project, be it Jeep, muscle car or other, the next owner of my Rubi will have the pice of mind that I never (well, hardly ever) pinched a penny on parts just for looks.

Oh, and as far as income goes, I've got no complaints. As far as debt goes, I've got none other than the mortgage. Toys aren't toys if they're not really yours
Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

It's fun and unique
Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get it because the things I do usually serve a purpose.

Originally Posted by JeepDude90
i know what you guys mean. i have a 3 inch lift and 35s and have never offroaded. i want to offroad but there isnt many places to offroad where i live. once i find a spot i can go to i would definitly want to offroad.
Rausch Creek is only 85 miles from you and lots of fun. Meet up there with some forum members for a easy run once and I promise you'll enjoy it.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Straight out I would think that it was because the stock JK is an ugly bugger. It sits low, seems like a whale on two small wheels, and just does not look good. When we compare a JK to buying a stock truck for example, they still look nice and have some clearance. I think people just want something that looks nice, and still will take them off on a dirt road if desired.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by largo
Straight out I would think that it was because the stock JK is an ugly bugger. It sits low, seems like a whale on two small wheels, and just does not look good.
This is true...

Quick Reply: Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?