Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Do you take your modded JK offroad?
MY JK is modded and take it offroad whenever I can.
93.40%
My JK is modded and it's just for show and dont take it offroad.
6.60%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am one of these people...and its because I love the way they look, no one would say this about the people who have an F-350 with dualies that is jacked up with 37's or a million other types of vehicles people modify in the same way. I love wranglers I have wanted one since I was ten, and I want it to look a certain way, but I have no ambitions to go taking it off-roading, just not my bag...I don't see anything wrong with that
Old 09-23-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only "acceptable" reason in mind my to add a bunch of mods to a Jeep and NOT take it off-road is if you were going to sell it immediately. But even then, I'm sure you wouldn't come out making any money unless you did everything yourself.

I think the pleasure of doing all of my own work on my Jeep is so I KNOW that it's done right and I KNOW how to fix it if something breaks.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought we were all modding our jeeps in preperation for 2012/zombie invasion/aliens landing.

I am in the midst of modding mine and enjoy the tinkering and finished product more so than the idea of taking it offroad. I plan to take mine out before winter, but there are a few precautionary mods I want to wrap up before I get too far out.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

I can see the cover of the next Quadratec catalog now:
5 gallon containers of do it yourself mud, with detailed instructions on how to apply it, guaranteed not to scratch.
(just add water)

* Improperly applied product will make you look like a loser
* Will not make your penis larger

Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matador
I agree....the first time I went out .....I hated the branches against the paint....the crunching of the rocks on the skids.....but now....it gives me a reason to mod it more. The wife heard the crunching and asked......"how do you stop that from happening?" My response......"lift kit".......she responded by saying "then I guess you need to buy a lift!"
Now that's a cool wife!!! wanna trade.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by emoody007
Now that's a cool wife!!! wanna trade.
It gets better....she gave me money for my birthday and asked my family to all pitch in so I could get my lift!

Then when i told her my diff's were leaking and the dealer was going to fix them under warranty and I might as well upgrade them to ARB's she kind of looked at me worried and asked "how much?" I responded my saying about $340......her response....... "oh that's not bad"!

She's getting used to it!

Last edited by Matador; 02-24-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unibox
How do you modders get the money?

Andy
I don't have a wife.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JulianK
Ditto. But apparently I have to write more because just "ditto" is too short to post although it does convey my message succinctly and without undue verboseness.
Try this .......
Old 02-25-2011, 02:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by unibox
... How do you modders get the money? You must have better jobs than me or more debt....
That's a really good question. The Jeep JK stock is a very capable performer off road--even the X/Sport model. People who are financing mods are nuts, IMHO. There are important things in life to finance--maybe a vehicle (I prefer to save up first, then pay cash), a house, unexpected expenses because of a family emergency or whatever. Jeep mod's do not qualify. Neither do vacation costs to pay for gas/hotel/meals for a Jeep trip.

Anyone who is modifying their Jeep would do well to have six to twelve months worth of income saved up in a liquid account (local bank), and be fully funding their employer retirement options--and maybe even a Roth IRA (you'll thank me later if you're young). After that you have money to play with your Jeep.

As for me, I have well-funded IRAs that I don't require to live on month to month. Each January I make a once-a-year withdrawal and I use that to do a series of things around the house. Last year it was primarily a new PC (think $7K, not $700), as well as a couple things for the Jeep. This year it was primarily things for the Jeep--lockers, tires, gears, dual-batteries, overhead rack, snorkel, and some other minor work. That's what happens if you first get your financial house in order before spending it on your Jeep (or whatever) habit.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matador

It gets better....she gave me money for my birthday and asked my family to all pitch in so I could get my lift!

Then when i told her my diff's were leaking and the dealer was going to fix them under warranty and I might as well upgrade them to ARB's she kind of looked at me worried and asked "how much?" I responded my saying about $340......her response....... "oh that's not bad"!

She's getting used to it!
You are a very lucky man.

Quick Reply: Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?