Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Do you take your modded JK offroad?
MY JK is modded and take it offroad whenever I can.
93.40%
My JK is modded and it's just for show and dont take it offroad.
6.60%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People pay lots of money for mods- and then are worried about dinging it up and making it imperfect. I can understand that- but once you overcome it- the offroading is great.

Also keep in mind- just like the poll shows 95% of the people on this forum are offroaders- hence finding this information goldmine of a forum
Old 09-23-2010, 02:58 AM
JK Newbie

I am in the minority because of the reasons stated, I love the look of my Jeep when its clean and unscratched, I have some property in upstate NY that I plan on taking it in the fields and wide trails, but why take the jeep there when I have a 700 cc ATV that can do the same thing and wont potentially ruin my daily driver?

I haven't modded anything yet but I will be doing the whole lift/wheel/tire "off-road look"
Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JayhawkJeep
To each there own. Many people lift their trucks and put big tires but never haul anything. If someone wants to mod their Jeep who am I to judge if it makes them happy. Hell they could even add crome
Yea, I do a lot with the big diesel trucks on other forums and it's funny to see the ones that are lifted to the sky with big rims and rubber bands for tires and the bed still looks like it's brand new. I mean, my truck is lifted with tires and all that stuff, but i still haul my gooseneck, 5th wheel, and anything else that i need to. And those people don't drive it cause they are afraid of scratching a rim. It's kinda amusing. I beat the hell out of mine

As for the Jeep, i think it was about 24 hrs old before it hit the trails and got a little dirty
Old 09-23-2010, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Mine goes offroad but as soon as I get back it gets cleaned over the next three days. I even repaint scraped areas on the undercarrage. Can't stand having it dirty.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unibox
"real jeeps dont/do have..." "why even have a jeep if you don't..."
I agree with you. But... there are people like the Consumer Reports ones comparing Jeeps with crossovers. Sure the Jeep is special, I think the buyer must know the possibilities, to compensate the compromises, or characteristics of the Jeep. So, mod a JK with a 6" suspension just for the looks, only to run on asphalt, I think that is misleading, unpurposeful.

Jeeps are all about mods - but even stock is cool
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Some people like the way it looks and it is none of our business what they do with their jeep. We are not paying the note. I think a lifted jeep looks good, and so do alot of other people that do it. They may not be lifting it to make it better offroad, they lift it for looks.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my jeep to last forever, I traded in an Infiniti SUV that was beat to crap in a fews years from other bad drivers, pot holes, garage attendants. I plan on driving my 2007 in 2050 so the AEV bumpers, KM2 33's, mopar metal side steps makes me feel like I am driving an armored tank. 3 years in and not one scratch, and with those bumpers, people never try to cut me off in a traffic merge. They always let me go first. Plus I live right outside on NYC, not much on the way of wheeling but I do love it in the snow and you can't beat the soft top in the summer.

So yes I have moded without wheeling, but I moded for a different reason.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

not gonna lie...i mod mine for looks and a little offroad..i dont mod it to extremes tho..another reason is one day soon its gonna be my sons and i want it ready and protected when he starts to beat the shit outta it and climbing everything he can..what i spend now i'll save later..
Old 09-23-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like to mod simply because I like to tinker and build things (I was a Lego kid!). Installing a dual battery kit, bumper, etc... is therapeutic for me.

I'd offroad if I could....but I don't know where to go or know anyone to go with.

I haven't started modding yet, but when I do it will be by my own hand and mostly for fun.

(bonus points that it looks cool )
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I mod the Jeep because I love the look of the off road 'style'. Two days after I purchased it stock, I was crawling over rocks with my mom in it! I would off road a lot more if I had a place to go closer here in Southern Ontario.

I love the look of the bigger rigs but funds limit the amount I can mod it. I just need to hook up with some dudes north of me and I'll be cool. First I want a winch, and 35" tires, and a high lift jack, and a ...........

Quick Reply: Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?