Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Do you take your modded JK offroad?
MY JK is modded and take it offroad whenever I can.
93.40%
My JK is modded and it's just for show and dont take it offroad.
6.60%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought mine new in 08, did some mods to it so it is built up for mud and trails (No rock crawling as of yet). After the 33s wear out in a couple years (I only run them from May till Oct) I plan on moving up to a full suspension lift of at least 4in, re-gear, etc. an run 35s 0r 37s.
Alot of people who use these things as their DDs are afraid of getting to rough with them at first so (I can only speak for myself) they build them up in stages like I plan to. I can't see the reason why people who have NO intention of off-roading dumping thousands in mods to chew up the ashphalt...but TEHO. If they have that type of cash to dump into something that won't be used to the capabilities its meant for shame on them, but LUCKY for us. Have you seen some of these people in the you tube videos attempting to crawl? Maybe its better they stick to the roads
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matador
I agree....the first time I went out .....I hated the branches against the paint....the crunching of the rocks on the skids.....but now....it gives me a reason to mod it more. The wife heard the crunching and asked......"how do you stop that from happening?" My response......"lift kit".......she responded by saying "then I guess you need to buy a lift!"
:
I do that same damn thing with my wife. My next wheeling trip with her...I am gonna try to crack my Sahara sidesteps so I can order a set of LoD rock sliders!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they did it to keep people from bitchin' about them buying a Jeep and NOT modding it. You know what I'm talking about, the guys that say " I don't wave at stock Jeeps because they are obviously on their way to a soccer game, they don't have a clue what a Jeep is for."
Maybe that's why.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

i love taking my jeep off road, i love trying to get over rock and what ever els. the only thing i hate taking my jeep though is mud, hate it.... so expensive to clean it off and it gets in everything and makes parts wear out faster when they get all that fine sand in them
Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

i love taking my jeep off road, i love trying to get over rock and what ever els. the only thing i hate taking my jeep though is mud, hate it.... so expensive to clean it off and it gets in everything and makes parts wear out faster when they get all that fine sand in them
Same here. I like to trail ride, but I don't like mud bogging.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

I'm a mix of both. During the school year, I might get to offroad twice... but I am planning to move to Salt Lake City, 4 hours from Moab, for a life spent skiing and offroading. It's not a question of if, but of when. Right now, it looks like I'll be moving out in 5 years or so, with one year between then and now spent there for grad school.

So though my build is mostly show for now, I am planning my entire career, moving across the country, and leaving all my relatives, to go skiing and drive offroad in the most beautiful place on earth.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
I think in the Jeeping world, that percentage of people that "Build for Show" will be a minority. Most of us that mod it, usually will wheel it - but as is always true with anything, there are always exceptions. Like many have said, to each their own.

Looking at the poll numbers, the percentage shows what I was talking about .
Interceptor, I wasn't aware you took yours off-road
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I mod it and wheel it, though work doesn't let me get out as much as I'd like. When I do wheel, I hit some decent trails, but usually steer away from the bigger stuff, not because I don't think my rig is capable, I can't afford to bust up my daily driver.

The best mods I can buy for my Jeep now will be another vehicle as a daily driver.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?

Originally Posted by planman
I really think the reason they don't take their rigs offroad is because they either have no one to go with, they don't know where to go, or they haven't yet experienced the combination of the excitement/rush of wheeling off road in beautiful places with friends and family.

For us, it is a hoot to take first timers off road and show them what their jeeps are capable of doing.

Then they are hooked.
This is basically why I haven't done any real offroading yet. I know no one that does it, and I don't know where to take it, but I also haven't modded mine yet. I'll do that when I find the need for something. So far my JEEP has taken me to some nice camping spots on the beach and to the guadalupe river. I was happy to go there with my jeep, but if I knew some people that could show me the ropes of off roading id do it in a heart beat... Its why I wanted the JK in the first place.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

My first was a 78 cj7 renegade. Got it out of high school. No money for gas let alone mods. 2nd 94 yj married so barely any for maintenance let alone mods. 3rd 2010 jk un. married 2 kids. Mods? Does removing chrome count?

How do you modders get the money? You must have better jobs than me or more debt. I personally like the look of the stock jeep. remember I said that's just me. Seeing an all stock cj5 is what Im talking about.

Mine is mainly used for snow. I love going out and chasing the plows.

Q. Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?
A. They may have the intention or incentive but not the time or knollege. Or they might think it looks cool? Which is OK.....

Soap box time!
Do not read!
Really!

The thing I dont like to see (jk-fourm or any board) is people bashing or flaming a guy for doing something different. "real jeeps dont/do have..." "why even have a jeep if you don't..." "you painted what?" It's too easy to bash or flame. It's hard to say something positive. Think "Do I really need to add this reply? How will this comment help the thread. Is this about me? Unless you are helpping with the payments, go easy...
Told you not to read it.
That is all.
Good day!
Andy

Quick Reply: Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?