Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Do you take your modded JK offroad?
MY JK is modded and take it offroad whenever I can.
93.40%
My JK is modded and it's just for show and dont take it offroad.
6.60%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?

I am kind of confused....I have seen and read a few posts of people wanting to put suspension lifts and 37's etc and then say that they don't take them offroad.

Why would anyone do that? I understand if you don't want to damage it etc...but then take the money you would have spent on your mods and buy an older Jeep and take that offroad or something. It just seems wrong to spend the money on mods and not take advantage of them.

It's just being mean to your JEEP....it wants to get out and play and you don't let it. UNLEASH IT!

Seems kind of silly to me....but "TO EACH HIS OWN".

THOUGHTS?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Junkie

I don't get it either... but to each his own I guess. I really see no point in making it "look cool" these mods are functional and can take the abuse. I cringed after the first loud thunk of rock against metal and the nice dragging sound it makes afterward, but am now sorta used to it. Plus wheeling them is the best part it's fun as Hell!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

For the same reason why people modify a car for extra horsepower and don't race it [drag racing or road course]. Some just want to brag that they have such and such stuff while others invested so much they don't want to risk damaging the vehicle doing whatever activity.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree....the first time I went out .....I hated the branches against the paint....the crunching of the rocks on the skids.....but now....it gives me a reason to mod it more. The wife heard the crunching and asked......"how do you stop that from happening?" My response......"lift kit".......she responded by saying "then I guess you need to buy a lift!"

I can't wait....Jeep Jamboree this weekend and then the following weekend another 2 days of wheeling.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

My ideal setup would be a 4" lift with 35s and the reason, I like the way it looks. Now to answer your question. I would love to take mine off-road and I have in PA a few times, but nothing extreme like some of the members of this forum. The reason, $$$, thats what it all comes down to. I use my Jeep every day as my DD and if something were to happen to it off-road, basically, I'm screwed!!!! I would love to have a Jeep dedicated to "play" but financially, its not happening right now. As for modding it, like I said, I like the way it looks and why not prep it for when I have a 2nd vehicle and I could play a little more? And BTW, mine is still stock because once again, financially, its not happening right now.

Last edited by TommyG; 09-21-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Junkie

To each there own. Many people lift their trucks and put big tires but never haul anything. If someone wants to mod their Jeep who am I to judge if it makes them happy. Hell they could even add crome
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

There should be an option "I've modded my Jeep and take it offroad sometimes". I don't get out as much as I'd like but I get out as much as I can.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kalamari
There should be an option "I've modded my Jeep and take it offroad sometimes". I don't get out as much as I'd like but I get out as much as I can.
Not sure how to add that in ....
Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Jedi

Why do people but a 200 mph Lambo, that they never drive faster than 65 ?
Cause it makes them look cool?

Or Someone who buys a winter house/ motorhome for $450,000.00 then use it 2 months of the year?
Cause they can?

Go figure, I don't all way's understand it.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

because im not doing off-road mods.. only electronic / creature comfort mods

hey mods are still mods

-Christopher

Quick Reply: Why do people mod their Jeeps and then not take them offroad?