Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Would you order dual doors (full & half) from the factory for an additional $1500?
Yes
82.22%
No
17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Who would order a dual top AND door package if available from the factory?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd wish I could have gotten just half doors but I haven't seen one around here. The full doors are nice for long commutes but I live in town and drive 5 miles a day. It rarely gets below 50* in the winter. I run doorless most of the Spring, Summer, and fall but half doors can't be as heavy to remove or as big to store. My wife has dual tops and enjoys both of them. I've got a soft top but usually no top or bikini. Make the half doors more available!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My half doors never leaked, so I don't know about that. Halfers were great because they are almost as good as going door-less. Plus, with half doors, you could fold your top down, roll up the windows and put them under the top and put the upper doors behind the back seat. This way, you had your entire top with you for road trips or long days when rain or cold mountain nights would be an issue. Full doors just kills the whole topless thing if you ask me. You can roll down the window, but it's not nearly as good as half doors/door-less. The other plus to half doors, in a brief rain storm, they kept your legs dry. Door-less, you're getting wet. If you are going to have the convenience of a soft top, full doors make no sense to me when it comes to versatility and function.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71Luber
My half doors never leaked, so I don't know about that. Halfers were great because they are almost as good as going door-less. Plus, with half doors, you could fold your top down, roll up the windows and put them under the top and put the upper doors behind the back seat. This way, you had your entire top with you for road trips or long days when rain or cold mountain nights would be an issue. Full doors just kills the whole topless thing if you ask me. You can roll down the window, but it's not nearly as good as half doors/door-less. The other plus to half doors, in a brief rain storm, they kept your legs dry. Door-less, you're getting wet. If you are going to have the convenience of a soft top, full doors make no sense to me when it comes to versatility and function.
Totally agree with this. If you have a soft top and plan to drop it a lot, the half doors give you a lot more flexibility and open air feel. The only caveat I would give is if you live somewhere it barely rains and is really warm most of the year, and you can go doorless for weeks at a time, then it is not such a big deal.

In my case, for example, I have 4 months of snowy cold winter, then the rest of the year is game on. We have a lot of afternoon thundershowers and I travel between a few places in the summer, so being able to have doors/windows travel with me is key. Might be uppers out for 6 hours, in for a1 hour storm, then out. Or it might be doors totally off for a week in a sunny forecast.

It is all about flexibility.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

My wife does not like the feeling of doorless. And it is CO, so we get sudden rain storms in summer. So, half doors would have been a great choice for me. I get my open top feeling, the ability to flip the top up or down due to conditions, and my wife is happy. Winter time, hard top and full doors. I find some space place to put them... the hard top can be a coffee table... the doors could be setup against the wall with xmas lights... modern art!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think an even better option would be to have full doors and 2 piece soft doors. I am thinking of getting 2 piece soft doors for my JKU before too long, just hate to fork over $1,000 for them is all.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJSJK50
My wife does not like the feeling of doorless. And it is CO, so we get sudden rain storms in summer. So, half doors would have been a great choice for me. I get my open top feeling, the ability to flip the top up or down due to conditions, and my wife is happy. Winter time, hard top and full doors. I find some space place to put them... the hard top can be a coffee table... the doors could be setup against the wall with xmas lights... modern art!
I'd like to have both doors/tops, but not for the $4k more that it currently costs. Come on Jeep - factory dual top/door package please!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

I would have done it! Would not have taken long to make that decision either.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

If I could have dual tops/doors for $1500 total then hell yes but $4k is just tooo much.
May need to re engineer the hard door to be 2 piece, take off the upper piece and have a half door.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coltc2000
If I could have dual tops/doors for $1500 total then hell yes but $4k is just tooo much.
May need to re engineer the hard door to be 2 piece, take off the upper piece and have a half door.
I meant $1500 on top of the dual top package. No way Jeep can offer all for $1500. Still a heck of a lot cheaper than $4k and comes painted.

Problem with your hard door solution is that the glass would not fit in the half-door size lower door - you would have to make the half doors (the lower part) as high as the bottom of the window on the current hard doors, which kinda defeats the purpose. Replacing the upper with factory sliders vs. zippers would be a great solution, as would re-engineering the uppers to latch to the upper door frame when closed, controlled by the door handle, to keep them more snugly against the door frames.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cbcwrangler
as would re-engineering the uppers to latch to the upper door frame when closed, controlled by the door handle, to keep them more snugly against the door frames.
Which would make them even more expensive

Quick Reply: Who would order a dual top AND door package if available from the factory?