Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Who wishes chrysler kept the 4.0L?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love driving my wife's XJ. It's an auto, but it is WAY more responsive than my JK and it has 100K more on the clock.

Come to think of it, her XJ was also a lot quicker than my 03 Rubi with a 4.0 L & NV3550 manual.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to a 4.0 would be a waste of money and be just as much of a dog as the 3.8. The JK is heavier and bigger in every way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK 3.8 vs TJ 4.0 dyno graph.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	168753
Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had a 97 with the 4.0 and i have my jk and i dont mind both engines theyre both pretty decent engines, but the 4.0 was a much better built engine.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by highoctane
Going to a 4.0 would be a waste of money and be just as much of a dog as the 3.8. The JK is heavier and bigger in every way.

Attachment 168753
I cant wait to show that graph to my buddy with an '06. Always ragging on the mini-van motor.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by XBlacky08X
Yes, however a v8 of some sort would be much better. It is like comparing the 6cyl Challenger to both hemi equipped Challengers. There is no comparison.
Yes but this thread is about the 4.0 vs. the 3.8. Nobody is arguing the V8.

Originally Posted by zking1776
Yeah, it's not the 3.8's fault. It's the morons who didn't bother to tune it worth a damn. How come the Germans and Japanese can figure out how to get 400 horsepower out a 2.0L four cylinder but Chrysler can barley get 200 hp out of a 3.8L?!
Who has a 400 hp turbo 4 from the FACTORY? Chrysler has the SRT4 engine.

Originally Posted by JeepDude90
ive had a 97 with the 4.0 and i have my jk and i dont mind both engines theyre both pretty decent engines, but the 4.0 was a much better built engine.
Nobody seems to remember the 4.0 long ass starting problems, or the gunk accumulation on the head cover...
Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

The JK is bigger and heavier in every way. The old 4.0 with a 3 speed auto (I had one) was an absolute dog. It would do 70 at over 3000rpms, but it didn't like it. It was also an antique engine in that it's emissions and build cost were higher. Going to the 3.8 makes sense from a cost and CAFE requirements standpoint (2 more mpg and cleaner emissions). Both engines are OHV engines. Most new engines are OHC. The big row has always been that OHV engines are better at low end torque and OHC engines produce better horsepower.

I am personally happy with my setup. Re-gearing after 35's helped a lot. I would like more power, but I don't really need it. I'd just get speeding tickets that would take money away from my mods account.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
If you think about it if you put the 4.0 inline in the JK it would still be a dog because the JK is bigger, and heavier. I read somewhere on this forum the 3.8 produces the same numbers as the 4.0 but with 1-2 more mpg.
As previously stated, the JK has 20 more hp in stock form, but less torque. Torque is the important stat for off roading and that "ooomph" feeling during acceleration.

The JK has a v-6 because of crash test requirements. The 4.0 I6 was too long. I know the problem isn't emmissions because my 4.0 is zero or near zero across the board in smog tests (I have a TJ and a JKU currently).

My JKU is probably 800 lbs or more heavier than my TJ. Either engine would be marginal from a performance standpoint, but I bet the 4.0 would be superior off road...
Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only thing I can think of that would make me want to go back to the 4.0L would be the thought that it is "truck" style engine and not a car/minivan engine. It would make me feel that it would be more durable.

But, I am not really disappointed in the 3.8L. It felt good on the trails last weekend and my trip from Conway, AR, to Chicago, IL, two weeks ago was pretty comfy in my JK. There didn't seem to be any less power on the freeway in the JK than there was in my LJ.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
As previously stated, the JK has 20 more hp in stock form, but less torque. Torque is the important stat for off roading and that "ooomph" feeling during acceleration.

The JK has a v-6 because of crash test requirements. The 4.0 I6 was too long. I know the problem isn't emmissions because my 4.0 is zero or near zero across the board in smog tests (I have a TJ and a JKU currently).

My JKU is probably 800 lbs or more heavier than my TJ. Either engine would be marginal from a performance standpoint, but I bet the 4.0 would be superior off road...
You might want to read back

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...3&d=1231786912

The 3.8 has more torque and HP,

I came from a 04 TJ Rubicon, and find no difference in power. Both were manuals.

I do notice the 3.8 is smoother and quieter and makes it sound like it isn't doing anything but it it has plenty of power.

The engine does feel very different due to the hydraulic clutch, and fly by wire, but its still very responsive. It just doesnt have the old clunky sound my TJ had, which even though made you feel like your driving a rough and tumble vehicle there was not real advantages

And with the issues that were starting with the 05 and 06 4.0 liters engine related to their crank position sensors and cams and lifters the 4.0 wasn't as reliable as it once was...

Quick Reply: Who wishes chrysler kept the 4.0L?