Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Who is ordering half-doors on their 2012 JK?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered an unlimited Sport with half doors on 10/1 and am in D1 status right now. My first Jeep...

From the invaluable model-package information Milous has provided on page 1 of the "2012 Wrangler Information" thread as well as the the online Jeep configurator, I believe the half doors are now only available on the factory builds for Sports, Rubicons, and Unlimited Sports. NOT, the Unlimited Rubicon. In fact on the Unlimited Sport, you can only get half doors if you DON'T get S option package.

It definitely seems like Jeep and customers are moving away from the half doors. From what I also saw on some other forums, less factory-delivered models with half doors means fewer third party companies that will be interested in making after-market windows and such. I think I saw a comment from a Bestop rep that said they're in a wait and see mode for making windows and such to fit the '12 models.

I went round and round on ordering half doors as my ONLY door option. Living in Pittsburgh, a leaky door wouldn't be so much fun in January. Also, high probabilities of summer storms make it seem unlikely I'll be able to run doors-off many days. But coming from two convertible, I really enjoy the open air...and half doors are good way to fly. Top down driving with four full doors just didn't feel open enough

If you're interested in half doors, I say, "Buy Now"! There may not be too many ways to get them in the future.

Last edited by TopDownInPgh; 10-18-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

At least on the Unlimited, basic air conditioning is standard and available with the half door option, but you can't get the automatic climate control option with half doors.

and MoTec is right, you can't get the DualTop group with the half doors. must have something to do with proper sealing the half door upper frames to the hardtop roof?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TopDownInPgh
I ordered an unlimited Sport with half doors on 10/1 and am in D1 status right now. My first Jeep...

From the invaluable model-package information Milous has provided on page 1 of the "2012 Wrangler Information" thread as well as the the online Jeep configurator, I believe the half doors are now only available on the factory builds for Sports, Rubicons, and Unlimited Sports. NOT, the Unlimited Rubicon. In fact on the Unlimited Sport, you can only get half doors if you DON'T get S option package.

It definitely seems like Jeep and customers are moving away from the half doors. From what I also saw on some other forums, less factory-delivered models with half doors means fewer third party companies that will be interested in making after-market windows and such. I think I saw a comment from a Bestop rep that said they're in a wait and see mode for making windows and such to fit the '12 models.

I went round and round on ordering half doors as my ONLY door option. Living in Pittsburgh, a leaky door wouldn't be so much fun in January. Also, high probabilities of summer storms make it seem unlikely I'll be able to run doors-off many days. But coming from two convertible, I really enjoy the open air...and half doors are good way to fly. Top down driving with four full doors just didn't feel open enough

If you're interested in half doors, I say, "Buy Now"! There may not be too many ways to get them in the future.
Yes I'm told by my dealer that they can't submit my order through the system for half doors on my "unlimited" rubicon so they are requesting an exception to build from the factory.
The 2012 buyers guide clearly shows half doors are a factory option on Unlimited Rubicon.
It's also shown on the current website as available on Unlimited Rubicon.
In addition I've called Chrysler Jeep customer service and they tell me it's an available option for Unlimited Rubi!
So I'm going to continue to push them to fill my order
Old 10-19-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blown2tone
Yes I'm told by my dealer that they can't submit my order through the system for half doors on my "unlimited" rubicon so they are requesting an exception to build from the factory.
The 2012 buyers guide clearly shows half doors are a factory option on Unlimited Rubicon.
It's also shown on the current website as available on Unlimited Rubicon.
In addition I've called Chrysler Jeep customer service and they tell me it's an available option for Unlimited Rubi!
So I'm going to continue to push them to fill my order

That'd be great news if it works. I would've considered n unlimited rubi if I knew half doors were an option. Good Luck! Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Half Doors on Unlimited Rubi

I've heard back from the product manager in Aubrn Hills and the Regional Directer for Jeep. They will indeed build my Unlimited Rubicon with half metal doors. I'm told to expect it in December. He will follow the progress of my order and coordinate with the Dealership.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard back from the product manager in Auburn Hills and the Regional Directer for Jeep. They will indeed build my Unlimited Rubicon with half metal doors. I'm told to expect it in December. He will follow the progress of my order and coordinate with the Dealership.
This is awesome! I wonder if they would build a Rubicon without power doors & mirrors? I've been told they are standard equipment... well I'd rather not have them to be honest.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

I've heard back from the product manager in Aubrn Hills and the Regional Directer for Jeep. They will indeed build my Unlimited Rubicon with half metal doors. I'm told to expect it in December. He will follow the progress of my order and coordinate with the Dealership.
That's great news!

From you discussions, can you tell the if the half doors are SUPPOSED to be available for the unlimited rubicon and the factory and dealer screwed up and they're now processing your order as it should be? Or is that buyer's guide and website are screwed, half doors should NOT be available for the rubi, and they factory's making yours as a special order?

It's been so hard to get get solid information on this....
Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

The half doors ARE an option for Unlimited Rubicon. For some reason the ordering system for dealerships does not currently allow them to select them... until they get the "glitch" corrected it will probably require some extra effort/assistance from they RIGHT personnel at Chrysler Jeep to get one of these built. If anyone else wants this option, I can get you the contact information I have.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

As soon as gecko comes out I plan on ordering a 2012 jku with half doors. Fills are not an option for me. Hate the way they look. Half doors just flow better. The lines of the jeep are so much dmoother
Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Here are a couple of pics of my new '12 JKU Sport with half doors. Day 1 and after new wheels and tires (apologies for blurry pics)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 135.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	246673Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrangler-2.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	246674

Quick Reply: Who is ordering half-doors on their 2012 JK?