Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Who has run Duratracs and MTR's w/Kevlar??? Opinions?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has run Duratracs and MTR's w/Kevlar??? Opinions?

Hey all,

I am currently running 33" Duratrac's but am making the move up to 35's. I thought I had my mind set on the MTR's but now I am second guessing myself and thinking maybe I should stick with the Duratracs but in a 35".

I am looking for some thoughts on people that have run BOTH tires and can give an honest and an opinion based on experience.

Which tire do you prefer? The MTR or the Duratrac?

Thanks,
Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed. Same debate with 33s right now
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

BUMP.....anybody?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matador
BUMP.....anybody?
Was considering the same tires. I heard the Goodyears and BFG were a little hard to balance. I went with the Cooper Discoverer SST Tires in 35"s and am happy. They are very similar to the Toyo Open Countries, but 8 ply instead of 10 ply. The Toyos are 3600 lbs a tire and the Coopers are 3000 lbs. Plenty for a Jeep. I will get some pics up soon.

Last edited by NineWire; 03-29-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Tire model
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Matador
Hey all,

I am currently running 33" Duratrac's but am making the move up to 35's. I thought I had my mind set on the MTR's but now I am second guessing myself and thinking maybe I should stick with the Duratracs but in a 35".

I am looking for some thoughts on people that have run BOTH tires and can give an honest and an opinion based on experience.

Which tire do you prefer? The MTR or the Duratrac?

Thanks,
I've owned the MTR's and seen the Duratracks
I'd stick with the Duratracks
Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 AM
JK Newbie

I've had both the duratracs on my scrambler and now the Mtr'ks on my jk and like both but the duratracs balance and ride smother/quieter but the mtr's look darn good. They ride nice but have not balanced the best and they are starting to get a little noisy but what can you expect from an agressive tire! Overall they are both great choices depending on what you are going to do with your Jeep.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

First ran this setup (35x12.5x18 Mud Crapplers (Load E) + Rockstars) - Tire + Wheel weighed in at a whopping 117lbs. each. Didn't have any balance issues and rode well. My JK is an 07 w/ 6spd and Factory 4.10's... I still had very little to no use of 6th gear on the highway..

Now running this setup (35x12.5x17 MTR K's (Load C) + Blackrock Type 8's) - Tire + Wheel weigh in at approx 99lbs. each. Balanced like crap (still balance like crap but they only have 1,500 miles on them). If it were my DD they would already be gone. I do however now have full use of cruise and 6th gear on the highway. My next setp is to get rid of the Blackrocks' in favor of some Stock Rubi's or maybe some AEV's. The Load C MTR's are absolutely the worst tire to balance I have ever seen. I also roadforced balanced them and helped the guy do the work. On a different note, the tires look great.

My brother is running some 265x75x16 Duratracs They balanced great (smaller tire though) and ride great. IF they made them in a 35+" size i'd probably run them.

On another note I ran some 35x12.5x17 BFG KM2's + 17x8 Crager Soft 8's on my Xterra and they balanced great and rode great.

I will probably not purchase the MTR's again unless when changing out my wheels they get much easier to balance. They honestly balanced worse then the 36x13.5x15 Iroks I ran on my XJ.

Rule of thumb is the heavier Load E tires are going to balance better (at least from my experience). However if you're in an auto and not planning to regear you may want to go light as possible.... Otherwise its going to be a total dog on the road.

Good luck,

Last edited by UNCC CivilEngineer; 03-29-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Can't speak for the duratracs, but I have the 35" MTR's on my Jeep and 31" MTR's on my 95 Tacoma. Love em. Weren't too bad to balance on either set.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Anybody else out there run both MTR Kevlar and Duratracs? which one did you like better?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Just bought the duratracs in 33. Had bf's on and the duratracs seem alot more smoother and feel easier to turn. I like both tires you are considering but when i made my choice by reading the reviews on the discount tire site and the mtrs had a few more complaints but still a nice tire. Not sure if this helps but both nice choice. Depends on your bank account and driving choices. Good luck

Quick Reply: Who has run Duratracs and MTR's w/Kevlar??? Opinions?