Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Who buys the 2wd JK's?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyG
This whole thread is just dumb. Who cares if fellow members of JK-forum are driving 2wd Wranglers. Has anyone thought maybe it is what that person could afford and even though they wanted the fully loaded Jeep, they didn't want to break the bank? I would love to have a lift, a hemi, rims, a Corvette for sunny weekends, a 10 car garage, etc. Come on people, grow up and stop with the stupidity of "you're not a Jeeper if you have 2wd". Point is, we are all members therefore we all have a common interest of Jeep Wranglers. Don't waste our time bringing negativity to this board.
then they might have been better off saving their money or buying an older JEEP (4x4)!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys, I´d take a 2wd anytime. 2wd are great for building up a decent trail rig. Buy a used one cheap and convert it to 4x4 with the best equipment - atlas 4spd transfer, Dynatrac 60 axles, ARB locker, 40" tires, etc, etc. It is pretty much a bolt in job. If I ever build up a JK trail rig again, I'd go this route. More cost effective.

But don't take my word for it...Here's an article on it:
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te...ion/index.html

Last edited by VictorS; 12-05-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maverick1701
It might be cheaper to buy an old beater 4x4 1-ton and a 2wd jk and swap in all the 1-ton 4x4 running gear as opposed to buying a normal 4x4 jeep then upgrading later on...I dont have any desire to sit down and do the math but you can find old 1-tons for 1K>
That might be a thought...sadly I'm not mechanically inclined enough to pull something like that off.

I've learned since my original post that there is a place for the 2wd JK...I just wasn't aware that such a market existed, I think in part because we don't get the 2wd version here normally so seeing one would be an oddity.

Thanks for those who have filled me in, and let's keep it friendly
Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spartan99
falconfixer333 that is not a Dub. I recently learned from my black female friend that a Dub is a rim that is within the 20 inch margin, because a Dub is also a 20 dollar bill. In that picture, you have what is called a Donk. A Donk is a wheel with rims that are 30 inches and above where you have to lift the vehicle to fit it. I will now post a picture of Donks, but be warned, they are extremely ridiculous and almost offensive. So, behold...this is a classic example of a Donk:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keiva/1122100715/

And in case you're wondering, when the Donk is sporting a vehicle with a round top, it's called a bubble, like the one you see here. If it's square, it's a box. Henceforth, the pic you posted of the Jeep with rims would correctly be referred to as a "Box Donk." We live in a very strange world.

I was trying to lighten the mood a little bit but I did learn something in the process I wonder if there is a correlation between your defintition of Donk and badonkadonk

On a serious note, I currrently reside in las vegas so the only time I have used 4wd was for a gross disply of mudslinging ability the two times it has rained here. Maybe when I'm in Alaska next year I might utilize it more when I head out into God's country.

As a side note, I feel Jeeper is a frame of mind...not how many doors, drives, inches, etc your rig has.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by falconfixer333
As a side note, I feel Jeeper is a frame of mind...not how many doors, drives, inches, etc your rig has.
Jeeper is a WAY OF LIFE.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by falconfixer333
Don't forget that 2wd Jeeps create jobs for the Dub industry

There should be a law forbidding things like that being done a Wrangler.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:02 PM
JK Super Freak

If I had to do it all over again... I would have bought a 2WD Jeep. THEN, I would have bought a D44 axle, a Atlas 4 speed transfer case, and new drive shafts to fit my lift. Less throw away.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Lifting a 2wd 4 door JK

I need some advice on lifting my a 2wd Jk 4 Door. My gear is a 3.21 and I was wanting to go with a 4" lift with new 17" wheels and the Nitto Dune Grapplers (315/70/17). I was wondering how my gear would hold up, since I am not going to take it off road.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK121005
I need some advice on lifting my a 2wd Jk 4 Door. My gear is a 3.21 and I was wanting to go with a 4" lift with new 17" wheels and the Nitto Dune Grapplers (315/70/17). I was wondering how my gear would hold up, since I am not going to take it off road.

I don't think that 2wd are 3.21 in the rear, but I could be wrong.
My suggestion is to go a bit smaller with the lift, it will be easier on you and cheaper. You can get a budget boost for $150 and get 2.5 inches on it and still fit 35's. Just my $.02 best of luck.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK121005
Don't wast your money on parts you will never use!

Quick Reply: Who buys the 2wd JK's?