Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Who buys the 2wd JK's?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just glad that they dont even sell 2wd Jeeps up here. the only way you can get one is buying a Compass or a Patriot.

A 2wd JK is like buying a 4cyl Corvette.......just doesnt make sense to me

But that's just my 2 cents!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matador
I am just glad that they dont even sell 2wd Jeeps up here. the only way you can get one is buying a Compass or a Patriot.

A 2wd JK is like buying a 4cyl Corvette.......just doesnt make sense to me

But that's just my 2 cents!
I didn't even realize they didn't sell the 2wd version up here...I'd wager this is why I never see them and maybe a little of why I previously didn't get it.

Again, sorry if I offended anybody with this thread, I didn't post it with the intention of hating...I was just looking for some insight.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 PM
JK Junkie

I have a few friends that have TJ's that they never do anything more than a dirt road, so the 2wd would be perfect for them. They bought them for the top down doors off freedom, not the off roading aspect. It's all good in my book
Old 12-03-2008, 01:32 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by defkon
My wife's 2WD goes offroad all the time. We hit the trail almost every weekend. So I really don't see how it is a "strictly on-road vehicle". I get a kick out of it seeing how well it does. As long as it doesn't hit mud she hasn't gotten stuck. I also get a kick out of knowing that she hits the trails more then a lot of 4X4's do. Makes me smile. I also know a lot of people in FL that have the 2WD one and also take it off road. We have no rocks or hills here, and most of the time I even spend on the trail I do not need my 4WD.

That's cool, didn't mean to imply that you couldn't take one off-road, I was simply saying since most Jeeps never leave the payment, 2WD would be fine for many of these people. Just curious though, what kinds of trails are you doing that don't have rocks, hills, or mud? Other than the added traction of 4X4, the low-range is a big deal for the kind of stuff I enjoy doing.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
rocks, hills, or mud?
We are in Florida, there are no rocks or hills, and mud only during the rainy season.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I see the market and the reasoning for the 2wd model, but my preference is the 4wd version, it just matches my life style better. I go on the occasional trail, when I get my JK, I will go more, I like to go camping, I like to go fishing, I will go hunting again one day, we have the occasional snow. I just like the option. I would rather have it, then not have it.

I love driving somewhere and seeing an old gravel road or a logging road or other type area (like near rivers or lakes) and taking off down them. You never know what you are going to run into or over and 4wd can come in handy.

So in closing, to each his own. Do what works for you. We are all Jeepers.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranwitscissorz
We are in Florida, there are no rocks or hills, and mud only during the rainy season.
so do you have any photos of you Jeep useing all of the stuff you add to it so you can off road better?

Last edited by ChevyM14; 12-03-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

I think the problem is that there are people, like above, that feel they own a monikor and it has their own meaning to themselves, whereas to others it just means you own a jeep. Taking it as only meaning you go offroad and live a self defined "lifestyle," is taken as an elite club. When I see or say Jeeper, I'm referring to, Jeep (vehicle) - Er (owner). I'm sorry if me saying I'm a jeeper has offended your rational of what that monikor means to you, apparently to some of us certain words mean differently. I gracefully back off of calling myself a jeeper and will now call myself a jeep owner.

So in that aspect, this is a JK Forum, not a JK 4x4 Forum, so I will restate my question. Why all the hate on 2wd Jeeps? Don't like it, don't buy it, but leave your hate elsewhere. Alot of us get tired of seeing these threads pop up every month or so. If anything, yall should be happy, by having a larger install base there is more vendor support.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

I had a 74' CJ5, was out wheeling and blew out my front lockers .
I'll have to say it still did pretty well as a 2wd. Also how about those rear wheel drive rail buggy's. Those things are beast's.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ranwitscissorz
I have a better question than the OPs. Why the hate on 2wd? Aren't we all jeepers?
Probably because Jeeps were designed to be the absolute BEST offroad capable vehicle on the market. That's it's purpose. It cannot achieve this purpose if it only can drive with the rear wheels. So it's kind of moving in a different direction that what the original jeeps were made for so I can see why a lot of people (Jeep fans) don't like them. Now for somebody who just wants a jeep for the looks and not the complete functionality it's capable of then I think it's fine for them to own one with only 2wd. Just don't expect all jeep fanatics to love you. For me personally it seems pointless to own one without 4wd. It's like owning a Corvette without the powerful engine. That's kind of what makes it what it is and without it, it is something else. I think the same can be said for a jeep.

Last edited by pkess3; 12-03-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Who buys the 2wd JK's?