Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
Not my jeep but changing spark plugs in my second car i cross threaded the spark plug that ended up being a couple hundred to fix... I re chased the treads and used a magnet to prevent shavings from getting in the motor... but they did.

Keep in mind i was 18-19 and didnt know crap about cars/motors. from those years i learned if in doubt... pull it out..
Ahh nuts. I might have shavings in my diff case now. Crap... time for a diff flush I guess

EDIT: Duh. I just remembered there isn't a through hole into the diff case like a spark plug cavity has. So no fear of shavings. Phew.

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 08-16-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luckily I haven't had a quality moment on my JK yet.

However my XJ had the biggest f my life moments I think I've ever had. I'll build the story up so you can feel the pure disappointment I felt.

So, its 2002 and I'm 19 and I've finally got enough money to go buy a vehicle. I hit a local off lease lot and see a 2000 XJ that was at a decent price. I am approved financing, get in and hit a tire shop with in 15 minutes. So I've got a new Jeep, a good set of tires, and a tank full of gas. Time to find a trail.

There is a good sized farm close to where I live that is 4wd friendly(shame the guy sold it all to a developer so it can be a subdivision), I let the owners know that I was going to go riding some of their trails, they agreed and off I went. So I'm cresting a muddy hill without looking to see how steep the other side was. By the time I found out I had locked my brakes and was sliding straight towards a tree. Luckily the door stopped it from damaging my buddy in the passenger seat, but a branch put a good size hole and non-repairable dent in the door. F***

I spent the next 3 weeks looking for a door, local scrap yard got a 2000 XJ that had been hit on the driver side and totaled, in the same color, score. Go out pick up my door and back home to put it on. Get a couple of my friends to help (mainly help drink beer) first one drops the door bending a corner and shattering the glass. Ok fine, glass is fine, and he is willing to pay for it. I get the glass cleaned up, and the damaged door off, while moving I stumble and stick the top corner of the door through the back passenger window. At this point I decide to wait until I'm not 20 beers deep to replace my door.

Another week later and the door and windows are installed. Bonus points for the fact the power window stuff on the passenger side didn't work, so I could nazi the windows when I cut one.

Moral of the story, know whats ahead of you on your trail, and if you are going to drink while you work on your car, make sure you can keep it between the lines.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default I confess

I bought my baby on R&R and only had two weeks so I wanted to do something quick and easy. Red's fender trim. Used a jigsaw for the majority of the cut (worked Great!) but at the bottom where it gets close to the body I changed to a hand saw to control it.

Oops.

On the last upstroke she broke through and I put a nice inch long scar at the base of the body. Very hard to notice except it shines like a diamond in a goats ass to me because I look there everytime I look at it.

Oh, and I ran short on door trima t the bottom of the same fender and had to use a short piece at the bottom. Most would never know it, but it's another reason I can't help but look at the at that corner.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by youenjoyzedella
I had my rear end jacked up from the bumper with my hi lift.... I had both tires off pushing the axle down trying to remove the stock coils when the hi lift started leaning....then BAM!!! The rear end of my jeep crashes onto the garage floor. Many lessons learned that day.
Holy crap man!

Actually reminded me of a lesser WTF moment. I had to remove my old sway bar links but had to take off my front tires first for better wrench access.

Bought a POS Autozone 3 ton jack that lifted OK but when you lower it, it went..... WHOOP! Straight down! No gradual descend... free fall. Poor JK landed hard on the jack stands and then later on the tires because of said POS 3 ton jack.

Managed to get the job done anyway but I returned the jack to Autozone like greased lightning.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Holy crap man!

Actually reminded me of a lesser WTF moment. I had to remove my old sway bar links but had to take off my front tires first for better wrench access.

Bought a POS Autozone 3 ton jack that lifted OK but when you lower it, it went..... WHOOP! Straight down! No gradual descend... free fall. Poor JK landed hard on the jack stands and then later on the tires because of said POS 3 ton jack.

Managed to get the job done anyway but I returned the jack to Autozone like greased lightning.
I had my jk come off of the jacks and hit the ground.... i was smart enough to put the tires i pulled off under the frame rails. only the shock mounts hit the driveway.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
from those years i learned if in doubt... pull it out..
When in doubt, don't stick it in
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was removing my budget boost and it's shocks from the front of my Jeep to install my new coil lift. I had everything loose/disconnected to drop the axle on to my jackstands, I had the axle suspended on my floor jack and was lowering it down, i was kinda off on the passenger side and something got hung up. Couldnt see what, until

BOOM.

I jumped about a foot & almost shat myself, my wife came out of the house like a rocket wondering WTF that noise was as i about made her streak the couch and it scared the hell out of the dog.

I forgot to remove the driver's side shock. I had it loosened up but never completed removing it.

Man it is amazing how LOUD a shock is when it blows. Suprising amount of oil in those little suckers too!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
When in doubt, don't stick it in
Verry true.

Quick Reply: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot