Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Old 07-28-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NickJK

Thx.... The draw of having them install the lift was that it was a team of 8 students under the direction of a "master mechanic" and it was free... I just bought the kit. But... You get what you pay for!! LOL lesson learned!
One of those "seemed like a good idea at time."
Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NickJK

Thx.... The draw of having them install the lift was that it was a team of 8 students under the direction of a "master mechanic" and it was free... I just bought the kit. But... You get what you pay for!! LOL lesson learned!
You sure that wasn't 8 students under direction of a master baiter...his mind was definitely on something else...maybe the "eyeful a day" thread.

Last edited by Notakar; 07-28-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Langhorne
I shouln't laugh at this one. First time I took the hardtop off I decided to try myself. I figured "I got this. How heavy can it be?" Got it on my back and stepped down and cleared the bed. Realized, "Now what, idiot?". Spent the next few minutes (seemed like forever) trying to kick some empty trash cans at the top of the driveway into place so I could set it down and get out from under it. By that time I managed to get it off, but I did almost lose it when the rear window sprung open, and the neighbor comes out (clearly holding back laughfter) and asks if she could help. S M R T

The following week I built a dolly so now I can stand it up and wheel it away.
I know the feeling. First time I took mine off I ended up having to yell to get one of my kids to help. Subsequent to that I bought a used power hoist and built a platform to hold it someplace besides sitting on the trailer!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put a flomaster muffler tucket up nice and tight right behind the drivers seat with no heat sheild. Everything was ok until I went to the beach aired down in 4 wheel drive motor working hard . I smelt something burning looked back and the carpet was smoking. Melted it right to the floor.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BStelling
Haven't read this one but for some reason I had the windshield wipers up, I think I was adjusting my windshield lights and I went to check something under the hood, well I lift the hood up and I feel something catch so I push a little harder and then AH SHIT! rolls through my mind. I let the hood down and now I have a pair of matching 6 in horizontal scratches going across my hood. Really not noticeable unless you catch them at the right angle but it annoys the living hell out of me. Oh well live and learn
i have the same thing happened to me... only mine are smaller but deeper...(that sound funny....) anyway... i was thinking in cover it with some sticker or something. i have scratch all over doors and side panels i don't mind those trail scars but those 2 little scratches i hate them with all my heart!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Notakar
Okay - What was your biggest f-up on a Mod? What would you suggest that fellow jeepers NOT try to do, or at least be careful if your gonna try it.
NEW jeep with less than a 1000 miles on it. read and re-read the instructions for the Garvin wilderness rack until I know 'em by heart. Measure everything out, re-measure everything out: take a break to clear my head- come back and REEEEEE-measure everything for a third time. Begin the drilling process.......

...........and find I've drilled EIGHT holes on the WRONG SIDE of the body line

Nuttin' a couple of plastic grommets wouln't cover....but still. EIGHT dam holes....
Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

My GD gears... must of been a hair off because about a month after install the shit blew up! Atleast I got the front right! Over a six months without any issues! Still after tow truck and all the other crap I spend about 1000 more than the highest priced shop would have charged me
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Keeping this thread alive is definitely not intentional, but I put on my front diff skid yesterday. It was a Mopar skid that required the lower five bolts to be removed and then reinstalled with the skid in place.

Well I did fine with 3 of the 5 bolts, but ended up cross-threading two of them!!! (f**k! I'm still mad!). I didn't advance those two bolts any further thinking that 3 out of 5 should be OK... but woke up this morning to a small puddle of diff fluid on the garage floor.

Ended up cutting new threads for them and re-seating them. That stopped the leak but dammit, I hate damaging key components like that.

Anyone else cross-thread a diff/trans/other powertrain component and had any issues afterwards?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

I had my rear end jacked up from the bumper with my hi lift.... I had both tires off pushing the axle down trying to remove the stock coils when the hi lift started leaning....then BAM!!! The rear end of my jeep crashes onto the garage floor. Many lessons learned that day.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Keeping this thread alive is definitely not intentional, but I put on my front diff skid yesterday. It was a Mopar skid that required the lower five bolts to be removed and then reinstalled with the skid in place.

Well I did fine with 3 of the 5 bolts, but ended up cross-threading two of them!!! (f**k! I'm still mad!). I didn't advance those two bolts any further thinking that 3 out of 5 should be OK... but woke up this morning to a small puddle of diff fluid on the garage floor.

Ended up cutting new threads for them and re-seating them. That stopped the leak but dammit, I hate damaging key components like that.

Anyone else cross-thread a diff/trans/other powertrain component and had any issues afterwards?

Not my jeep but changing spark plugs in my second car i cross threaded the spark plug that ended up being a couple hundred to fix... I re chased the treads and used a magnet to prevent shavings from getting in the motor... but they did.

Keep in mind i was 18-19 and didnt know crap about cars/motors. from those years i learned if in doubt... pull it out..

Quick Reply: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot