Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Where to keep my 4" S&W .40 No Top?

Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would never leave any weapon in a vehicle that is out of my sight, but since this is not about me, I would recommend making it as hard as possible for the thieves. I would fix a gun vault type lock box into a Tuffy lock box, and take the magazine with you. Another solution is to put a gun vault in the storage compartment in the back. If it's not big enough, get a Woods storage tub enlargement kit. The last place I would put it would be under a seat. That's one of the first places they look.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

EDIT TO ADD: Keep it with you... dont get caught... its your right to carry so F their policies[/QUOTE]

Uh..no! If you don't get caught fine....but what are the odds of that eventually. This sounds like a sure fire way to lose your job.

I vote for a tough, lockable box and a very silent voice.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, this is an old thread and I'm sure the OP has already found his solution, but I can't help but mention that you really need to consult your state laws before choosing a way to store a gun in your vehicle.

In California, for instance, it is not legal to put a handgun in your glovebox or a utility box. Most attorneys (familiar with applicable law) will advise you that as soon as you bolt a gun safe to your jeep it most likely would be considered a utility box, and therefore illegal. (Penal Code 12026.1). The Center of Mass box with the cable is an acceptable lockable container because it isn't actually attached to your vehicle.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Wow! ots of opinions on this.

To the OP, its a matter of what you are willing to risk out here in Vegas.

If you have a hard top, go for a good lockbox, hide it, and don't worry too much.

If you have a soft top or no top, i wouldnt risk it unless you could hide it in a really good lockbox.

Either way you go, if its against company policy for firearms to be on company property, they could go after you. First, though, they need to believe you have it in your car or on your person. Second, how many others do we have around town with firearms in their cars? I know several.

Ultimately, its up to you. just be sure to secure it as good as possible if you choose to bring it with ya. I know there are places around here i wouldn't drive without one. Just be smart and be safe.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ReconJeep
The last place I would put it would be under a seat. That's one of the first places they look.
I don't see a problem with it being under the seat if its in a lock-box, which is bolted to the floor.

And you're wrong, the first place they look is glove box, then arm rest storage, then back seat, trunk, and then they might check under the seat.

Originally Posted by OffTopic
Well, this is an old thread and I'm sure the OP has already found his solution, but I can't help but mention that you really need to consult your state laws before choosing a way to store a gun in your vehicle.

In California, for instance, it is not legal to put a handgun in your glovebox or a utility box. Most attorneys (familiar with applicable law) will advise you that as soon as you bolt a gun safe to your jeep it most likely would be considered a utility box, and therefore illegal. (Penal Code 12026.1). The Center of Mass box with the cable is an acceptable lockable container because it isn't actually attached to your vehicle.
Thats one of the most retarded things i've heard. Wouldn't it be easier to snap the cable wire with a bolt cutter, than try to break the bolts that are screwed from inside the box?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seryoga
And you're wrong, the first place they look is glove box, then arm rest storage, then back seat, trunk, and then they might check under the seat.
You do this often? You seem to know so much. I'd be wrong if I had said it was the first place they look, but I actually said it was "one" of the first places they look. All the other ones you mention are just as valid.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ReconJeep
You do this often? You seem to know so much. I'd be wrong if I had said it was the first place they look, but I actually said it was "one" of the first places they look. All the other ones you mention are just as valid.
lol, i don't do it, but i know a few guys who used to do it.

I couldn't do it simply cause i would hate if someone had done it to me.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Do you park in the company parking lot? If so, they can prosecute you. As you mention, your company does not allow weapons on the premises, and judges will go along with whatever company policy is in determining whether or not to prosecute a case. If the company says no to weapons and it is somehow found out that you have one even in your vehicle on the company lot, IN your car, they can bring charges against you. They can also strong arm you into a police search of your vehicle if they suspect a weapon is there.....IF the vehicle is on private company property. At any rate, I wouldn't leave a weapon in my Jeep top off OR on. They are just too easy to get into.
I don't think so. At least in Texas, if it is in your car it doesn't matter where you are, even at the courthouse or elementary school. I keep my 45 on me and when that is not possible, it goes in the storage in the back so that it can't be gotten without breaking the lock on the tail gate or taking a hatchet to the little trap door.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yetibear
Then tell me again, do you own a fire extinguisher? And if so why?

I carry matches!! and a fire extinguisher,, The fire extinguisher works very well as a blunt object to hit with..

Sorry for straying,, but all this taco talk has got me hungry enough that my blood sugar levels are going haywire.. We have no good mex restaurants either.. now I'm just angry!

And to add to the fun,, I believe in CCW,, but if your going to leave it in the jeep,, get a safe mounted.. its the only safe way,, if it gets stolen it would blow to find out someone was killed with it.. just food for thought.. a brain taco?

Damned I'm hungry.. I'm going to check if my woman has made my dinner yet...

Edit,, why is the time always off soo much?? Its 4:30 and it says I'm posting at 1:30? California time?? another conspiracy!

Last edited by Cruiser; 11-25-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kastiron
.center-of-mass .com/

They have biometric units as well as conventional locking boxes.

Thanks for stepping up and taking responsibility for your firearm security as well as your personal defense.

It is hard to carry a cop with you on your commute.
Thanks for the link. I just sent the link to my son in an email with the subject, Christmas list. LOL

Quick Reply: Where to keep my 4" S&W .40 No Top?