Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Where to keep my 4" S&W .40 No Top?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.center-of-mass .com/

They have biometric units as well as conventional locking boxes.

Thanks for stepping up and taking responsibility for your firearm security as well as your personal defense.

It is hard to carry a cop with you on your commute.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BCarr
What/when are you actually going to have an issue where you will need to run out to your Jeep, grab the gun, and use it? Pick your times and battles.
I'm sure a lot of thought went into that.^^^^

If he could know when and what, he would just stay home that day, or choose to ignore company policy and carry his weapon with him.

And picking your battles and times is great.......but what if the other guy chooses his time and battle as with you and now?

Why buy a fire extinguisher? If you know the when/what ahead of time you can have the fire department deployed first, or remove the combustibles before ignition takes place.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Again, my point being that if that is the time, then how much reaction time will be needed to retrieve the weapon? Answer: more than he has.

Sorry, I think most people who carry guns do it quite needlessly. I teach unarmed combat and am a huge proponent of it. Don't get me wrong...I love guns and totally support the right to have them. But people need to be much more realistic about them....and the whole "you never know when you're gonna need it" mentality just doesn't apply.

And not a lot of thought needed to go into that. So, get over whatever emotional/irrational thought process you use to justify the carrying of a gun, and really think about.

Then tell me again, do you own a fire extinguisher? And if so why?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

The O.P. wants to know where he should stow his weapon while he is at work, since he is not allowed to have it on site. At home would be the best bet, safest for everyone including himself.

The last thing he needs is someone breaking into his Jeep finding the weapon and using it. What does the O.P do when he comes out to his JK and finds the guy breaking into the vehicle? If the bad guy found the weapon it doesn't do the owner much good does it?

Carry the weapon on you when you are not at work. Drive home and get it when work is done. If the drive home is that dangerous I might rethink my route.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

My point, exactly. What/when are you actually going to have an issue where you will need to run out to your Jeep, grab the gun, and use it? Pick your times and battles. Some of the cops I train with always get on me about leaving my portable XM unit in my Jeep.

Yeah...I just moved to MV about 5 months ago and am stunned. The most action I've seen here is 3 cop cars to deal with the skateboarders in my neighborhood. Very odd (coming from Long Beach).
Again, my point being that if that is the time, then how much reaction time will be needed to retrieve the weapon? Answer: more than he has.

Sorry, I think most people who carry guns do it quite needlessly. I teach unarmed combat and am a huge proponent of it. Don't get me wrong...I love guns and totally support the right to have them. But people need to be much more realistic about them....and the whole "you never know when you're gonna need it" mentality just doesn't apply.

And not a lot of thought needed to go into that. So, get over whatever emotional/irrational thought process you use to justify the carrying of a gun, and really think about.
Way to avoid having to rethink your position.

I do....but fire gives you more chance to react than an assailant. Your analogy stinks.
That was neither a rant nor a soap box. That was actually a well-thought-out, well-put opinion backed by instance of fact. My point is that there is too much irrational thought on this subject and cooler heads just don't prevail.

Most people, however, do not revert to such a cooler head. I'm glad your situations worked out for you, and I do know that they CAN work out. I just know that there is much more risk at stake when this issue is taken too lightly.

*Edit: carrying a gun is not irrational. His argument was.

My argument is irrational? You propose carrying based on clairvoyance, knowing when/what you will need a weapon for, I say you carry as much as possible because you can't know, and YOU don't always get to choose the time and circumstances of your battles.

Using your arguments, my extinguisher comparison is valid. If I knew at 5pm(when) a grease fire(what) was going to flare up in my kitchen, at 4:30 my kitchen would be grease free. No need for an extinguisher, but I have no way of knowing what, when, or where a fire is going to occur so I have a few fire extinguishers in my home and vehicle.
I don't know when or if I will ever need the weapon I carry, but if I do need it, I think I would prefer to have it then, then expect some psychic premonition to tell me I should have brought it with me today.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sully151
The O.P. wants to know where he should stow his weapon while he is at work, since he is not allowed to have it on site. At home would be the best bet, safest for everyone including himself.

The last thing he needs is someone breaking into his Jeep finding the weapon and using it. What does the O.P do when he comes out to his JK and finds the guy breaking into the vehicle? If the bad guy found the weapon it doesn't do the owner much good does it?

Carry the weapon on you when you are not at work. Drive home and get it when work is done. If the drive home is that dangerous I might rethink my route.
Well thought out and well answered.
Since the OP stated his work policy dictates no weapons on site, it would be very hard to file a report of a stolen weapon from a site that does not allow weapons on the property, and just opens the door for his dismissal.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sully151

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Except in matters of clairvoyance or premonition, I can't imagine being comfortable leaving an unattended firearm in my vehicle at work or any place else.
Unless I could find a way to mount a gun safe to the Jeep, then again I have an auto trannie in my Jeep, so it would also need to be a fire proof safe.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Junkie

I wish we could carry here in California! In your situation I would not risk leaving it in your Jeep at all ever! I would keep it on me or leave it secured at home. Bummer that you can carry everywhere.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow...clairvoyance. Now you're really reaching. I refuse to even argue with you further, as you don't even understand what you're arguing about.
I take it you don't even read what you post. YOU are the one that brought up knowing what/when you will need a weapon. You are the one that seems to know when you are carrying needlessly and when there may be a need.
You seem to have made yourself the final arbiter of other peoples needs. I'm saying you carry because you don't know when you will have a need, and at the moment of need it is a little to late to finally figure out that THIS is the day it would not have been needless to be carrying.

And I don't consider this an argument, but a discussion of differing opinions. However if you can't keep your emotions in check, and think this is an argument, perhaps it is for the best you choose not to carry.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I think I will have pizza for lunch... maybe tacos, it is Taco Tuesday after all.

MMMMMM! dollar tacos

Quick Reply: Where to keep my 4" S&W .40 No Top?