Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Where to Jack from

Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Jack from

Got a new HI-Lift for x-mas, What is the recomended point to use this jack on a stock rear JK bumper?
Thought I would ask before I need it. I also have a Smittybilt SRC fron bumper so feel free to make suggestions for that also.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Not sure about the SRC, but there is no place for the hi-lift on the rear stock bumper. The stock rear is plastic and will not hold the weight of the JK.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They make a wheel lift so you can lift the jeep with wraps from the wheel... You can also use the high lift as a winch in a jam.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most times, you could use a bottle jack for most of your needs.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum306
Most times, you could use a bottle jack for most of your needs.
Indeed, I found a 19"+ double ram bottle jack on the web. Inexpensive, and it will lift the Jeep plenty high. It's made by Torin and can be found at Northern Tool & Equipment. Add a 2" block for additional height. I've used bottle jacks to get vehicles unstuck in deep sand.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have Rubi Rock Rails? I would jack from the side of the Jeep if you do. It has a solid point of contact and it will support the weight to the Jeep.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Bottle jacks for me. Hi-Lift is great to raise the rig and push it off of rocks, etc., but I have always felt they were scary on tire changes.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used hilifts for years. I carry one as a multi tool, not so much because it's a jack, but because it can be used for just about anything (winching, straightening, splitting, lifting, prying ect). If you want to change a tire, use another type of jack. If you have a tow receiver in the rear of your jeep, you can use the hilift to jack off of it. Use a d-ring clevis through the hitch and jack from that. It's a good way to get the back end of the jeep up to stack rocks under the rear tires.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
I've used hilifts for years. I carry one as a multi tool, not so much because it's a jack, but because it can be used for just about anything (winching, straightening, splitting, lifting, prying ect). If you want to change a tire, use another type of jack. If you have a tow receiver in the rear of your jeep, you can use the hilift to jack off of it. Use a d-ring clevis through the hitch and jack from that. It's a good way to get the back end of the jeep up to stack rocks under the rear tires.
Good advice on using the hitch... All you need is one of these D-ring shackle assemblies.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Great idea on the d-ring as a lift point. I don't use Hi-Lifts for tire changes, instead use a good bottle jack, but they are great for getting off of rocks etc,.

Quick Reply: Where to Jack from