Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Where did the Jeep wave go?

Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rednroll, I completely agree! I'd rather get the "who the hell are you" look from people as previously by waving at all the Jeeps I see than to simply give up and not wave. You never know, my incessant waving might rekindle the wave around here. To those irritated with this thread because there are several, I apologize.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In Southern Illinois Jeeps were more rare and I got one for one, and generally big smiles and thumbs ups. In Alaska it's totally different. The JKs rarely wave back, and only the modified older Jeeps wave back. If it's completely stock I don't expect anything back. Most people aren't even paying attention to the road and what's around them. I see them playing with their stereo, talking on the phone, or just being oblivious in general.

Same goes with the Cherokees, the older modified ones will wave. I don't normally wave first but will always wave back.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hellcat
Get about 1 in 4 here in Phx. I just wave obnoxiously now it at least amuses my wife. Had to laugh when my daughter waved at a parked Jeep with no one in it. I remember my Dad teaching me to wave back in the day.
That's awesome that she waved to the parked Jeep! A good friend and fellow Jeeper once told me you're waving to the Jeep not the driver anyway, oh unless the driver is cute. Ha-ha.

Here in NoVA I tend to see waves from folks who've modded there Jeeps in some way. Those are the folks that seem to get it (i.e. the culture) -- even if their Jeep is chromed out. :-)
Old 09-19-2012, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by J.cyr8
.That's another thing. If you own a Jeep, and it's 100*F outside, and your doors are on, top and windows up....i don't trust you......you're up to something.
Good point! Unless your JK is your daily driver and you wear a suit to work. :-) That said, there's something gratifying about pulling up to work in a heavily modded (preferably dirty) Jeep and hopping out in a suit.

Just have to remember to know the dirt off of the calf of your slacks. :-)
Old 09-19-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
Good day for waves around Olympia WA today. Almost 100%. Helps for the weather to be 82 and sunny!

Jeepergurl67 were you in Olympia this afternoon? Got a wave from a gurl going topless in a JK who looked a whole lot like your picture.
No it wasnt me... But I promise you I will be waving to you if do pass you. I even wave to JEEPERS who pull up behind me. Is that weird? It is nice to meet a fellow Washingtonian! our weather has been amazing. I just washed and waxed and did the back to blacked my JK! Damn she looks good!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhum Runner

Good point! Unless your JK is your daily driver and you wear a suit to work. :-) That said, there's something gratifying about pulling up to work in a heavily modded (preferably dirty) Jeep and hopping out in a suit.

Just have to remember to know the dirt off of the calf of your slacks. :-)
That's fair! I sometimes don't think of that, blue collar workers such as myself rarely wear suits to work.... I guess it's all situational. Which fortifies many people's point on this thread....

From now on, I shall wave to every Jeep that passes by. No prejudice, because I now understand its the Jeep I'm waving to lol. Or the goodlooking gal driving
Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5

I understand not waving to the new fj and hummers , but about the old FJ's they really look like jeeps and the old hummer are still the best ones
Oh ya I agree, those old FJ's and Humvees are badass.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Green Monster
Rednroll, I completely agree! I'd rather get the "who the hell are you" look from people as previously by waving at all the Jeeps I see than to simply give up and not wave. You never know, my incessant waving might rekindle the wave around here. To those irritated with this thread because there are several, I apologize.
That has been my attitude too! It is funny when guys look at me like I have a growth growing out of my forehead when I wave at them.. . They are so confused they don't wave back they just stare. .. I get kinda mad when I don't get a wave back. It is polite to wave back when being waved at. When kiddos on school busses wave I always wave back and smile!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

I waved when my 4-door Sahara was stock with a hard top on. I wave now that it is modded and naked. It's always nice to get a return wave, but never bothered me when it wasn't returned. I like the idea of waving to the Jeep not the driver. My wife chuckles when I wave at a Jeep on the other side of the interstate at 80 mph. By the way, here in the DFW metro area, I'd say the return wave rate is 20 - 25%. Wave on!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gman*2007
Here's a wave from Huntsville, Texas
Gman. Wave right back to ya from tomball tx!

Quick Reply: Where did the Jeep wave go?