Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Where did the Jeep wave go?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by The Green Monster
I figured there were other threads, but I had to vent where I knew people would read and understand. Oddly, I have begun to enjoy waving at those who don't get it, simply to get the "who the hell are you" look from them. It's not as satisfying as a wave back, but it's funny. Thanks for the waves guys. I guess it's to the point where a wave back means more than it did when I had my TJ.
A good reason why there isn't as many waves anymore is because too many people make pre-determined judgements of other people and what their Jeep looks like and decide to not wave ahead of time because they think they have the secret recipe of which Jeeps to wave to, to be able to get a wave back.

I haven't read through this thread but I'm pretty certain by now you've already read some posts where people have stated their criteria of waving or not. Things like, "I only wave to modded Jeeps", "I don't wave to unmodded Saharas", "I only wave to Jeeps with a lift", "I only wave to Jeeps with mud on them."

Myself, I wave at every Wrangler I pass unless I just happen to have my head up my ass and one slips bye. Sure I get plenty of non waves in return, but in those instances I just feel like I've done my part to keep the tradition alive, where I feel if there was enough people who did the same as me, then those non waivers would eventually catch on.

It also makes me get a good laugh sometimes because of these silly criteria for waiving some people have established for themselves. For instance, I've gotten some of the biggest waves in return from business men in suits, in an unmodded JK 4 door Sahara, who have stuck their heads out of their window to give a full arm wave salute. I've gotten enthusiastic waves in return from soccer moms in unmodified Sahara's. I've gotten waves from the posse bumpin the bass, with the 35" chrome rims with spinners JKs. And when I get those kind of waves in return, it makes me grin from ear to ear and say to myself, "Didn't see that coming , and damn.....all those other JK'ers with their self prescribed criteria for not waving are missing out." Oh, yeah...I also have gotten quite a few non waves from the Jeeps with 4" lifts, 37's, driving doorless with mud splattered all over the side of their JK. The thing is, I don't take it personal and I don't try to lump them into a category of non waivers. That would make me feel like I'm judging people before I even gave them a chance, and I wouldn't appreciate it if someone on the other side of the wave did that same kind of thing to me.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-18-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another Rant here!!

I'm in New York. There 10 Jeep wrangler owners/drivers
for every mile here.... Old ratty ones, New shiny ones,
Heavily Modded ones, and some plain Jane soccer mom
ones... Ya think I could get a wave out of any of them,
Not one. Then There's this lil old man driving a MB...
no doors, no roof, olive drab, Korean War markings...
I pass him in My new 2012 JKU. And I toss a wave
his way....The Man Saluted Me!!!
Followed by a wave.
Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I'm even more determined to toss a wave towards
All My Fellow Jeepers...now more than ever.

Thanks for reading this rant.
And keep on waving.... ya never know who might
return the "Wave".
Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Here in CT I get 30-40% return on a wave. That's ok, I'll still to all Wranglers. Mods, no mods, two or four doors, doesn't matter. Wave On!!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
A good reason why there isn't as many waves anymore is because too many people make pre-determined judgements of other people and what their Jeep looks like and decide to not wave ahead of time because they think they have the secret recipe of which Jeeps to wave to, to be able to get a wave back.

I haven't read through this thread but I'm pretty certain by now you've already read some posts where people have stated their criteria of waving or not. Things like, "I only wave to modded Jeeps", "I don't wave to unmodded Saharas", "I only wave to Jeeps with a lift", "I only wave to Jeeps with mud on them."

Myself, I wave at every Wrangler I pass unless I just happen to have my head up my ass and one slips bye. Sure I get plenty of non waves in return, but in those instances I just feel like I've done my part to keep the tradition alive, where I feel if there was enough people who did the same as me, then those non waivers would eventually catch on.

It also makes me get a good laugh sometimes because of these silly criteria for waiving some people have established for themselves. For instance, I've gotten some of the biggest waves in return from business men in suits, in an unmodded JK 4 door Sahara, who have stuck their heads out of their window to give a full arm wave salute. I've gotten enthusiastic waves in return from soccer moms in unmodified Sahara's. I've gotten waves from the posse bumpin the bass, with the 35" chrome rims with spinners JKs. And when I get those kind of waves in return, it makes me grin from ear to ear and say to myself, "Didn't see that coming , and damn.....all those other JK'ers with their self prescribed criteria for not waving are missing out." Oh, yeah...I also have gotten quite a few non waves from the Jeeps with 4" lifts, 37's, driving doorless with mud splattered all over the side of their JK. The thing is, I don't take it personal and I don't try to lump them into a category of non waivers. That would make me feel like I'm judging people before I even gave them a chance, and I wouldn't appreciate it if someone on the other side of the wave did that same kind of thing to me.
very , very well said! ( you cant see it but im doin the slow clap )
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll

I agree with Rednroll... I try and wave to all the Wranglers I see... JKs, TJs, YJs... etc... I don't always get a wave back but then again... I'm not waving at the driver but the Jeep. Hellcat's daughter has it right... wave at a Jeep with driver or not... because its the Jeep you're waving at... not the the driver... and not for yourself.

Originally Posted by hellcat
Had to laugh when my daughter waved at a parked Jeep with no one in it.

I blame part of the lack of waving as a lack of knowing (maybe dealers should tell of the Jeep wave at time of sale?). Being a first-time Jeep owner as of May '12 I wasn't informed of the Jeep Wave until after seeing several wave at me as I passed them... so then I began waving back at Jeeps. At first I would get torqued if I didn't receive a wave back until I googl'd the Jeep Wave and found several sites explaining the whole tradition. Its the concept of acknowledging the Jeep and not the owner... so with that thought in mind I don't look at the process as self recognition which requires a wave back for my efforts but purely respect and recognition of the Jeep.

The only criteria I have about waving is that I do it only when safe to extend the wave. I don't extend a wave when making major traffic changes such as a turn or lane change that would require more attention to safe handling of my Jeep.

Thats my rant... and I'm sticking to it. GRIN
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Too hard to wave with a cell phone in one hand and Starbucks in the other.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Heck. I wave and if they don't wave back I wave bigger. It doesn't bother me one bit. I think I'm actually beginning to like irritating non wavers than having wavers wave back.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TOO MANY HATERS ON THESE TYPE OF THREADS..... YES YES YES I'll admit it's frustrating to wave and not receive a wave back. But I've had plenty of older model jeeps like the TJ's totally snub me... and I'm sporting a nicely modded jeep.... Tho it's discouraging not to receive a wave back.... I'll never stop waving OR BE ONE OF THOSE 'POSTERS' WHO WAIT UNTIL THE OTHER JEEP WAVES FIRST. Those who really care to keep the wave ALIVE just keep waving.... Do your part can't worry about the other guy..... Today I had a so called soccer mom in a stock 4 dr wave first and as I waved back she cracked a smile so big it made my day..... It's too bad all the dealerships don't do a better job of informing the new owners of THE JEEP WAVE..... That's how I learned of it and my girlfriend on the Internet. But even if 4 outa 5 don't wave.... That ONE who does makes up for it
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome! +1, ill do the same. Well said indeed
Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaasun71
Too hard to wave with a cell phone in one hand and Starbucks in the other.
Thus the reason the Connectivity Group was a must have on the list of options for my new Jeep! Now talking on the phone does not hinder my ability to render an appropriate wave!

Quick Reply: Where did the Jeep wave go?