Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wheel lugs lossen themselves

Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running wheel spacers you should check to make sure the wheel seats against the spacer. On some cases the studs from the wheel stick out past the spacer just a little bit. But that is enough for the stud to sink in to the rim and allow the lug nut to loosen up. You can check the wheels for round depressions. It may look like they are part of the casting mold.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I hope none are bent! I'll try the re torque idea 1st
Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

happened to me this morning! First I heard a little squeak on every tire revolution then the squeak turned in to a slight wobble in the steering wheel. Looked out the window and all looked well enough that I thought I could make it to work (2 miles down the road). WRONG!

Wheel came off!

Luckily it happened as I was getting off the highway and going about 5mph when making a right turn off the exit. Could have been real ugly had it happened going 60mph down the highway.

Can't tell much from the picture, but wheel came up and bent the fender and front quarter panel, also busted up the front of the drivers side step and ruined the wheel studs. On the bright side, I can probably justify the flat fenders and rock rails now

oh...and the stock jack will NOT lift it enough off the ground to put the tire back on (35" duratracs on 17" XD's with a TF leveling kit). Need to carry that 4"x4" block with me or a better jack.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	176440  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by monzter
happened to me this morning! First I heard a little squeak on every tire revolution then the squeak turned in to a slight wobble in the steering wheel. Looked out the window and all looked well enough that I thought I could make it to work (2 miles down the road). WRONG!

Wheel came off!

Luckily it happened as I was getting off the highway and going about 5mph when making a right turn off the exit. Could have been real ugly had it happened going 60mph down the highway.

Can't tell much from the picture, but wheel came up and bent the fender and front quarter panel, also busted up the front of the drivers side step and ruined the wheel studs. On the bright side, I can probably justify the flat fenders and rock rails now

oh...and the stock jack will NOT lift it enough off the ground to put the tire back on (35" duratracs on 17" XD's with a TF leveling kit). Need to carry that 4"x4" block with me or a better jack.
That really, really sucks.

Put the jack under the diff. It should lift it high enough.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BHawks4Life
Pass some this way!!
I got it, your not alone in your thinking...
Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by rockr
... a Master Craft boat dealer ... had isues with wheels falling off on new boats ...
That sounds like an ... interesting ... boat design.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This happens with new aluminum wheels all the time. It's also very common for a tech not to tighten the lugs enough and a wheel to come off.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockr
Never herd of this on cars myself but I used to work for a Master Craft boat dealer and they had isues with wheels falling off on new boats, and it turned out to be paint on the hubs. The cure was to remove wheels and scrape of all paint & rust on wheel mating surface and re-torque wheels. Don't know if this your problem or not but may not hurt to check.
Hahahaha, your joking right?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
That sounds like an ... interesting ... boat design.
Oh, see you caught that too, haha, I agree. Maybe it was amphibious car boats?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

I had this happen when I was in the army. We used to drive a chev 1 1/4 ton 4x4, typical vehicle in the 80's and 90's.
We had that thing in the mud, on the rocks and in the woods. Drove the s*#t out of it.
On the trip back to base, we got flagged down by a mechanic. Turns out 2 of our lug nuts were gone, and most of the others on the wheel were almost off.
The truck had to be flatbedded back to base.

Did you take the jeep off road after you did the work? That may be one reason why they came loose.

Quick Reply: Wheel lugs lossen themselves