Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What's up with the freedom top?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with the freedom top?

Just had to take my 2011 back to the shop because the freedom top started leaking in 3 different places. I have had it for right at a year and WTF? The first time they said the top was not "seated" together properly and the bolts were not tightend. Then three days after their tech installed the top properly it doesn't just drip it pours out of the same three places (one of them right over the radio by the way). They initially claimed it was not an issue with the top itself and tried to charge me a "diagnostic fee" since nothing under warranty was found to be defective. Anyone else had anything similar happen with their freedom top or any suggestions? And no I did not pay their freakin "diagnostic fee" either...
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

One weekend after having the top off I came out and noticed a puddle right over the radio area as you stated. I took the top off and put it back on again. Ensured all levers were tight and the two bolts in the back were screwed in really secure. Haven't had the issue since. However it hasn't rained in Indiana in a million days, but it hasn't leaked in the car wash.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Freedom tops suck, hands down. It was just a way to make the hard top on the 4 door more storable, the fact that it made a T top option was just a by product. I have always hated it on both my Jk I would like to have a solid top option, but thats not going to happen.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have read somewhere that over-tightening the bolts can cause leaking too. No problems with mine so far...
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you put the panels back on lubricate the weather stripping/sealing gaskets. I use silcone spray, it keeps the rubber from binding and creasing as you put the panels on. We don't get much rain here in the summer but winters can be pretty wet and I've never had a problem with leaking. I usually apply the silicone spray every other time I install the panels depending how long it's been between, maybe a little more.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll wait and see what they say this time and invest in some silcone spray as well. thanks again.

Quick Reply: What's up with the freedom top?